Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Fat Cap

PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had fantastic results with brisket. I usually get them with a nice fat cap however I am concerned I maybe leaving a little too much fat on than necessary. The fatty grissle is not very attractive and is not desirable to some (I just consume all). How do I prepare the "perfect" brisket regarding the proper amount of fat in the cap? How can I measure thickness of the fat and trim if necessary? Or should I cut the fat off totally (or buy a no fat brisket) and cover with thick cuts of bacon to keep moist? Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    PCO3,
    Give some thought to trimming the fat cap off in a big slice, season the exposed meat, and then replace the cap.
    The cut benefits from both the rub and the basting of the fat, and when you go to serve... voila, remove the slab of fat for a lean cut of brisket.
    Qfan

• PCO3,[p]If you are getting fantastic results, consistently, you have achieved what many of us are still working on. Therefore, you may not want to change a thing.[p]On the other hand, I trim the fat cap to about an 1/8th of an inch - just enough not to allow the flesh to dry out, and most of that renders out. If you are cooking a whole brisket, remove the point and scrape off the fat between the point and the flat. There should be very little fat left on your slices.

Unless you want some there. :-)[p]Lee[p]