Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st butt in for 1 hour so far.

Options
cahuck
cahuck Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bet I've checked the temp 20 times since putting it in.

Think I'll get any sleep tonight?!?!

Ramped up real slow over an hour first to 235. Only messed with openings a little. Trying real hard not to chase the temps! Appreciate all the advise I've been reading from senior Eggers over the past few weeks. You guys are great!

I AM feeling a Guru in my future!!!!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you have checked the temps 20 times, I think you will have a tough time sleeping. :)

Sounds like you have things under control. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at the temperature every few hours, most likely things will be OK but if you don't check, well...

A $40 Maverick ET-73 will work great for sleep. It also will help when you get a Guru in the future.

I saw your tag line, I have a pair of Carrera, Porsche Design sunglasses from the '70's or so. Aviator type or (tear drop). The frame nose piece opens up to change to the second set of lenses. Not sure if there is any value to them but I have been thinking of tossing them up on eBay.

GG
  • cahuck
    Options
    I let it go 9:30pm-12:30am and pretty constant 135. Up at 5am and temp had dropped a bit to 215. Opened the slider and blew onto it a couple of times (no wriggle stick yet) and started blowing lot of smoke for about 5 minutes while I got temp back to 135. Up at 6 and 245. Closed slider a smoodge more. Back up at 7:30 and 240.

I survived my first overnight and without the guru!
  • cahuck
    Options
    7lb butt in for 18.5 hours now and only 183 degrees on a thermapen.

pit temp 230-240 and I'm getting anxious. Glad it's still two hours until dinner!

kicking it up to 300.
  • cahuck
    Options
    but came out perfect bacause of all the posts I got to read here. Without this education I would never have had the courage or confidence to tackle my first over night cook. Thanks guys!

This also gave me plenty of time to make two sauces from the recipe section here - Quick & Easy NC Vinegar sauce and Johns BBQ Sauce. Both WAAY better than store bought!

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with GG 100% the Maverick ET73 was a great investment. I am able to sleep without worry of loosing the fire or over cooking. Best 40 bucks spent in awhile. :)