Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken

Options
Eggsakley
Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you guys (and gals) use to remove a beer can chicken from the grill when it is done without removing all the seasonings from the exterior of the bird???

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i use a pair of tongs and a spatula. ...i stick the tongs into the hole where the neck was and grip the back of the bird (that way i don't mess with the seasoning on the breasts) and slide the spatula under the can. .. .lift the whole thing under out of the grill and onto a pan. ...i then use a second set of tongs to grab the can and hold it while lifting the bird off the can with pair of tongs that i've gripped the bird by the back with. .. .hope that makes sense. ..
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Like Max I also use tongs but I also use my heavy duty gloves and just hold the beer can while pulling the chicken off and onto a plate.

It took me awhile to figure it out plus a few burnt hands. :( Works good now.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Eggsakley
    Options
    Excellent idea. Thanks for the info. :)
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I use tongs and grab the chicken from the back under the wings and pick it up. Then I use anything blunt, knife, fork, spoon and push the can out the bottom. I also stopped using any liquid in the can years ago and haven’t noticed any difference in taste or moistness. Just couldn’t see wasting that much beer. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Eggsakley
    Options
    Thsnks for the info. Appreciate responses. Did you ever try seasoning the fluid (ie. herbs) before abandoning the fluid aspect of the process? :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Beer can chicken was my go to method on the kettle. Since the BGE, I keep the beers fer me belly. :)

It just doesn't dry things out.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Yes on the seasoning. Now just season inside and outside of bird and let her rip.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I don't do beer can chicken since I did some side by side cooking that showed it makes no difference. FWIW, here's the webpage: Beer Can Chicken. But, if you want vertical chickens for space reasons, you could cook them on an empty can (oil the can before inserting it into the bird) and then you can put the chicken on its side when removing the bird from the cooker and the can from the bird. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Im off the opinion that beer does nothing to aid in the cook. The can helps stabilize if you want to cook in an upright position, but I just lay mine down on the grid and cook. Perfectly juicy and delish everytime.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Very persuasive tests, Whiz--thanks for taking the effort, and thanks for sharing!