Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright - let's talk mini!

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just to set the background - I bought my first LBE on father's day of 2008. Since then, I have bought another large, a small, and just recently and XL. When i look at the posts, it seems that half of the pictures are from a mini. WHY? I understand they are easier to start and light on lump, but there has to be something more. What am I missing?

I am ready to buy one if it would benefit me or my cooking experiences. Can anyone tell me a good reason or reasons to pull the trigger on the mini and buy one? I'm assuming a couple of hundred bucks would go a long way?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I bought mine account at that time there were just 2 of us and it is alot handier than the big guy (Lrg).
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • It is just way cool!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Quite frankly, Dave, I really atribute it to two things. Peer presure and Florida Grilling Girl. AKA Faith. The rest of them followed her lead. I am going to name my new mini FAITH :laugh: :) :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    mini's seem to be all the rage these days.i'm unimpressed.looked at one at my dealers showroom yesterday,still unimpressed.i can buy a flowerpot and a box of kitchen matches at the local wallyworld for a lot less and do the same thing BASICALLY. :woohoo: just funnin!!! :ohmy: :laugh: Like all things,They have their place! B)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i use mine more than the large during the week , steaks or chiken for 2 while meat rests grill veggies .. temps regulate faster, easy to clean .. makes great pizza

click little pic for slide show

th_march025.jpg

th_minisausage002.jpg

th_minisausage033.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You answered your own question - light on lump, easy to light, quick to temps.

As a side benefit, it is a searing machine.

It really does a good job.
  • Thank you Molly. I am honored.

Dave, I use mine because it is way more convenient than the large, which is downtstairs from my kitchen. I have been using it nonstop since I got it in December and most of my postings are cooks on the mini. It is perfect to light it up when you are doing a small, quick cook for 2-3 people. It uses a handful of lump and cooks up a storm. I love it and I am happy to think that some of my cooks may have influenced others to buy one. No, you don't really need it, but it is really fun to have!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    couple hundred bucks will never take you farther:

th_IMG_2474.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    :) :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Zippylip, excellent slide show of the mini!!
  • Z - Eggcelent Mini Show
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    We have a Large...Small, and a Mini!

Now,you're right, this forum has the "Herd Mentality"...so when you see a few Mini posts...you'll start to see lots more right away! It,
    (the same phenomonon) happens about recipes...cookers...activities, a new accessory...ect.

I love the Mini...it's a great cooker!! But,if I had to choose between the Small and the Mini...hands down,it's the Small!!

The Small is just so much more versatile, while still being very easy to take with...if thats your bag!

My thoughts?? Spend your money on better meat...and cook it on your Small!

JMO!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    ZippyLip - great slide show - great looking food. I have a mini to go with my medium - provides the flexibility I wanted at the rightr price.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    I love all my eggs but find myself using the mini the most ,But would never part with any of them .
    Dave
    NW Iowa
    000_0033.jpg
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    I can't figure it either. Minimally versatile. No low and slow cooking. Cooks for 1 or possibly 2 people. An oddity, "isn't it cute". I use my gasser for quick cooks. A Lodge hibachi does what the Mini does, and better, for about $89.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Nice family portrait. :)
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    The darn thing just gives you so much pleasure and surprise from the mini egg. I am always amazed on the flavor from food, it is the same as the large. I use the mini 80% of the time now and the large is for cooks that company show up.
    It holds way more than it looks. I did a whole bnls. pork loin yesterday. Had to stack the meat but it still cooks.
    Do you need it, probably not but once you have it will steal your heart and just be used more than the brothers are.