Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Sandwiches (pic heavy)

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and I had to have a compromise last night, and it worked out well. She wanted me to cook these chicken sandwiches that I have done for years, but always inside using the oven. It was a great night, so I wanted to fire up the BGE. The compromise - try the chicken sandwiches on the BGE.

This isn't rocket science, but basically I strip/chuck a chicken breast and soak in italian dressing. I add garlic, pepper, and some other seasoning. I fired up the large with plate setter legs up with normal grid to about 400 degrees. Since the was the first time, I used no wood chunks or chips.

Here is a shot with them it just going on:

ChickenJustOn.jpg

I stirred the chicken around about every ten minutes or so. Ten minute mark:

Chicken10minutesin.jpg

By the way, don't mind the tin foil on the container, it had a small tear in the side so I patched it up. Here it is at about 20 minutes:

Chicken20minutesin.jpg

I didn't watch the time real close, but it probably cooked for about 40 minutes or so - here is when I pulled it:

ChickenDone.jpg

While it was cooking, I prepped the buns:

BunPrep1.jpg

BunPrep2.jpg

Chicken on:

ChickenonBun.jpg

Adding some cheese!

CheeseonBun.jpg

I cranked the Egg up to about 500 degrees. I simply put a baking stone on top of the grid, and then put the pan on the stone. Not a very good egg shot:

SammiesonEgg.jpg

Didn't take long for the cheese to melt, here is all finished:

SammiesDone.jpg

No suprise, but the egged version of these sandwiches were a lot better than the oven version. Even the lump alone gave the chicken a nice smokey taste and seemed to work very well with the Italian.

Comments