Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

goosed by the goose

Options
RayS
RayS Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I smoked 12 wild goose breast yesterday and man were they ever dry. I brined them over night. The flavor was good, but too dry.[p]Does anyone have a good recipe for smoking goose?[p]Thank
RayS

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    RayS,
    I received some goose breast courtesy of a buddy here in London and tried to cook 'em straight-up, but they were dry as a popcorn phart too... just too lean, even with quick, high temp cook to 165 internal. Ended up grinding them in with pork butt and making some homemade sausage... Nice flavour there.
    Qfan

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    goose2.jpg
    <p />Ray:[p]What time and temperature did you cook at?[p]Goose has a lot of fat like a duck and is best smoked at 200º for four to six hours. For fatty fowl, I do not think there is much to gain from a brine.[p]Rub with your favorite fowl rub. Smoke at 200º with a few chunks of a light wood like pecan, sugar maple, or fruit wood. Continue the cook at 200º for a total of four to six hours. You are not looking for a certain internal temperature, you are rendering fat like a butt. You can raise the temperature as the cook nears completion to crispin up the skin. For me, low temperature is the key to success with this cook.[p]My personal opinion is that for the money duck is the better of the two birds and I find them frozen at Asian markets for $1.59/lb.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Ray . . .[p]Sorry, I thought you had a whole bird . . .
    [/b]
  • Grate Grills
    Options
    RayS,
    Ray, I am given goose brests every year by my hunting buddies. They are tough to cook. I have had best luck by marinating the things in a oily marinade and then stuff with cream cheese and something like bacon or peppers. We call goose sky carp. Just damn hard to make em taste good..

• RayS
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]I also got mine from a friend who does a lot of hunting. He also gets sausage made with the breast from a local butcher. With the addition of pork you wouldn't even know you are eating goose.[p]I will try smoking the breast again, but maybe put some bacon on top.[p]RayS

• RayS
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Thanks for posting anyway. Someday I will try a whole duck or goose.[p]Nice picture.[p]RayS[p]
  • RayS,[p]I have hunted ducks and geese all of my life.[p]I find them much more fun to hunt than to eat -- but - do eat them because "if ya kills them - ya eats them".[p]I paint them with olive oil, use a good dose of lemon pepper and wrap them with bacon.[p]Do not over cook them.[p]Not (too) bad.[p]
  • RayS,[p]Best goose breast I ever had was cooked low & slow in an oven, using a deep (4") aluminum roasting pan. Breasts were covered in sweet white wine with apples and celery and a liberal dose of whatever spices you crave.[p]Won't solve your question of smoking them, but sure did result in moist & tender waterfowl - something I thought couldn't be done!