Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket melted 3rd cook in

Options
Uncle Wumpa
Uncle Wumpa Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Love my medium Egg.

Searing steaks tonight at 650 I had both the top and bottom gaskets adhesive melt and the gaskets fell off or I pulled them off to avoid them falling into the grill. I had heard the various issues with gaskets and the different solutions people have come up with. Considering I bought a floor model and not sure if they installed the gaskets and its only my 3rd time using it I wonder if I should stick with the stock gaskets again or go for something more hearty.

Love the Egg by the way. Wow its a fun tool!

-Uncle Wumpa

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If the gasket is still good, just get some 3M 77 spray adhesive and spray it on. It will last just fine now.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Talk with the dealer, I would think they will get this resolved for you. As this will be a full replacement if possible I would request Nomex.

GG
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Personally after buring up two sets of std gaskets on my med I wouldn't fool around and upgrade to a stronger solution like GG said. Recently lost the gaskets on my new mini and I went straight to nomex. Now both eggs are wearing nomex.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If your dealer won't help you, call BGE and tell them about the problem. Ask, and they will probably ship you a Nomex gasket without adhesive.

Use the instructions found in numerous posts here about gaskets.

After you change a gasket (and for a brand new grill) try and do 3 or 4 low temperature cooks before cranking it up to high for a sear.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eublet
    Eublet Posts: 54
    Options
    My gaskets singed every time I used the pizza stone until they were ruined. I replaced them with Nomex and haven't had a problem yet with multiple high-temp cooks. I wouldn't change the gasket for fun, but I would not put those original factory gaskets back on any egg. I don't know why BGE doesn't just put nomex on professionally to begin with. It would save a lot of customer frustration. In my view, the product should work for a long time straight from the factory without causing problems. If you're going to sell pizza stones and advertise high temp cooking, then you better make sure the gaskets can withstand it. Nomex does that. The felt gaskets do not. This is my only complaint about BGE.
  • Uncle Wumpa
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the helpful suggestions. I will update when I get the dealer and BGE response. I like the Nomex idea.
  • Uncle Wumpa
    Options
    Well the dealer gave me a new gasket kit (OEM) and I am in the midst of the install. I noticed my medium BGE only has one spring on the hinge? Is that correct or do I have another reason to gripe to my dealer about a poor build? I also did not get the DVD so I have to go grab that as well.

Thanks