Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Adjustment Help Please

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You probably recognize me as the bumbling egger who replaced a gasket today...

Well, the puppy is back together - but I'm having a heckuva time aligning the dome.

To me, this is quite important as I believe the mis-alignment was the reason my gasket was toasted to begin with.

It looks like it just needs to come forward (towards the handle) about 1/4 inch:
domefrontfromtheside.jpg

Also, I can't for the life of me get the top ring up any further than it is - I can on the other side which may explain the misalignment to some degree.

Here's the problem area:
domeringrear.jpg

Now, I've tried nudging it forward - no luck. I've tried banging the ring up - it wiggles, then returns.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    you need someone to push the dome down while you pry the loose band up with a screwdriver and tighten the bolt whyle prying. the person pushinhing the dome down can tap the palm of his hand on the back of the dome to aid in the band lifting as you pry. having the dome come forward i dont know, seems to be a defect to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You can always try adding some washers to push the dome forward.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    You have correctly described my dome alignment issue. Fortunately my nomex gaskets are holding up just fine.

I hope/would like to see a fix for this alignment issue from BGE.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    Did you have the dome off to do the gasket? IF so did you have the WHITE pcs of plastic with the 2 holes in place that hold the spacing on the hinge in place when it was apart?

Did you put it together or did it come with the overlap problem?

When the dome is not tight can you line it up front and back perfectly so they are even? there is no photo of the top overhanging the back shown? The back looks like its lined up to me..... hmmmmmm

If the back is lined up good and the front is like that id say that your dome is mis-shapen and should be replaced by warranty thru your dealer.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tim,

My guess would be the springs are pulling the back of the top band down. Try taking them off, line the dome up and tighten everything up. Then put the spring on. It looks like the top band is running uphill toward the front of the egg. Yet another reason NOT to change gaskets. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    If you don't get it right after trying all of the suggestions replace the bands.They should be under warranty.
    Jim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Tim, I have seen 6 or 7 posts now with this same problem. Some folks have posted pictures with washer(s) to move the dome forward. Using washers doesn't leave much thread for the nut to 'bite' into.

I don't think the washer is the correct solution. I have worked with side to side adjustment problems but not front to back.

Here is an idea... before I continue it would be great if someone with the problem would call BGE Service and get the correct fix for this issue.

Loosen the band bolts and 8 smaller band to hinge bolts.

In a two or three step process tighten the lower band. First tighten just snug, second tighter and third up to and just before bold bend. Between the tightening tap the band down to the molded stop.

Now to the same with the top band. Again, tap the band up to the molded band stop. Use a rubber hammer or a piece of wood to tap on, be careful not to chip the ceramics.

Now tighten the smaller 8 bolts & don't break those bolts by using all those muscles.

If all looks as it should then take the band bolts to bolt bend point.

I have tried this process for other reasons than front to back alignment. I ended up having the hinge bind to where I couldn't open or close the dome without a lot of force.

I ended up loosening all the bolts hinge and band, tightening the 8 hinge bolts then the band bolts as described above to get the hinge to open and close as it should.

Hope this helps - let us know if you try it.

GG