Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket TIme - help? Is this ok to go?

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi eggsperts, I'm in the middle of the beloved gasket switch....

I've scraped, and pumice-stoned and hit it with acetone then did it again. Been at it for an hour.

Is this clean enough to apply the super 77 and the replacement gasket?? If I have to get all that gunk off, I'll be at it until next week!

Pics:

just the dome first:
isitcleanenough.jpg

Here's a closeup:
isitcleanenoughcloseup.jpg

Thanks and cheers!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If you can wipe your finger or a towel across it and it comes up clean you should be fine but my 10 year old egg usually comes cleaner than that.
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Well it does feel smooth, and "clean" - but I'm wondering if I got enough black gunk off. Like I said, I've been at it an hour:

Scraped
    pumice stone
    acetone wipe
    scraped
    pumice stone
    acetone wipe

Pretty much nothing coming off now - which is why I'm asking. I saw a photo of a "clean" one, and mine looks nothing like it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If you wipe with the acetone and nothing comes up on the rag you should be fine
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    OK - I'm going to go hit it again right now and see.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Are those dark patches just stains or can you feel them.

This is what mine looked like using 91% alcohol only and a rag. I let the alcohol soak and the entire clean takes about 30 minutes (top and bottom).

The letters were to explain the different parts of the clean.
    gasket2.jpg

"C" to "D" was the final clean.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Ok I gave the dome another hit of everything - looks at lot closer - I found that a good wipe of acetone really takes the stuff off - then a scrape, pumice and an acetone wipe. A wipe with a cloth or fingers is clean.

So, I'm thinking I should clean the base first, then apply the gasket to dome / bottom, then re-assemble.

Make sense?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

When you get tired, use 91% alcohol like I previously suggested. :):) I have done it 9 times now and it works every time.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Hmmm... the surface feels very smooth - but it looks nothing like your C or D... its now more like between A and D.

I don't have alcohol - just acetone. Should I just keep at it with that???
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am not really sure how to answer.

When I used acetone I had the same problem and went over to alcohol, which I picked up from Walmart or a local drug store.

It seems to me the alcohol draws the dirt/stain out of the ceramics.

Try putting the acetone on the surface and let is soak, before it evaporates re-wet with acetone and let set then use the a paper towel or rag to wipe clean.

Work in only a short area at a time, say 8 to 10 inches.

If you can't get any alcohol and the acetone feels smooth there isn't much more than you can do.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    OK thanks - I'll give it a shot right now.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Let us know how it turns out. It would be nice to see some pictures before the gasket install as well as after pictures.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    I just hit it again... tough job cuz its HOT out on my deck (about 90F in the shade - who says canada is cold?)

I'm going to clean the bottom now - I'll do a B & A pic, then a couple more as I'm re-assembling.

Next time - I just want the phone number of who to call and do this LOL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    then there's my school of thought. hahaha

my gasket came off, so i squirted a line of silicone adhesive down along the uncleaned rim, press the old (rutland) gasket back into it (with the failed adhesive still on it), and haven't looked back!

i think if you want to go with felt, and the standard adhesive, though, you want to go as clean as possible, like yours, but without grinding (as some have done).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    OttawaEgg wrote:
    Next time - I just want the phone number of who to call and do this LOL

:laugh: :laugh: I'll help if you will come over.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am wondering if the silicone would be a better adhesive than the 3M 77.

Silicone probably would be good for a repair without removal.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think in the end you could razor it right off if you needed to.

the silicone has vastly outperformed anything i ever tried. the lower vent is adhered with clear silicone, the red stuff is just higher temp resistant. says 600 or so on the label. I don't believe the rim ever really sees 600, frankly.

i'd like to see a double think felt gasket, bottom rim only, adhered with silicone. that's be for those who are squeamish about the rutland gasket or the ceramic braided stuff.

the 3m 77 isn't anything other than good old (latex) rubber cement. for what it is worth. the original gaskets were applied with rubber cement from what i can tell looking at it. it's food safe, and at high temps i think only becomes gooey, eventually re-solidifying, if it ever got to that point (gooey) at all in the first place.

i have cans of 77 around here stacked like cordwood. hahaha
    but if i were reapplying a felt gasket, i'd go with contact or rubber cement (almost the same thing), or silicone.

but long ago i went rutland, before warnings of death and destruction were mentioned in relation to it....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I use a 3M membrane only adhesive for matt board and photo's. I wonder if that is in line with 77 and rubber cement. If that worked it sure would be an easy application of adhesive. I lean more towards the silicone.

I would need to go look but The Wiz has some temperature readings at gasket level, if I recall correctly they are at 350° +/-.

When I used the foil block on the outside of the fire ring to get more air into the fire box there was a noticeable increase of heat at the gasket lever. The highest I read was 465° just under and above the gasket.

I would think the ceramics also act somewhat like a heat sink for the gasket.

There has been a lot of posts about silicone being the best resolve for gasket failure.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    OK - a hot n sweaty update.....

Got the gaskets on, in re-assembly mode now.

Can't seem to line up the dome properly.

I have the bottom ring tightned, bottom ring is sung where it should be. But the top just doesn't want to line up. I position it, then when I tighten, it moves to the back (towards the hinge) - which is probably what caused my gasket to go fadunk in the first place.

It may be related to the fact that I can't seem to get the top ring snug up high in that groove - the one side is ok (where the tightening nuts are) but the other side won't budge.

Ideas?

(boy, am I gonna have a drink after this!)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Take the springs off before alignment, get it right, then install the springs
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Grandpa's Grub - do use the 91% alcohol on the egg or drink it?

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: Not sure if I would drink the 91% I have, you might want to go to a higher percentage and a better quality.

GG