Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn ?

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The recent posts regarding this subject are "burning" in my mind as a constant reminder that ive yet to do one on either of my eggs which I bought new about 18mos ago. The small isnt so bad but the large has done dozens upon dozens of long cooks.
The gaskets on both are in eggcellent shape and I have no desire to fool with replacing either until absolutely necessary. Which is one reason Ive been procrastinating on the clean burns.
Is it possible or likely to maintain gasket integrity, and come out of the process without damage to the original gasket????
I am aware of nomex, rutland, and other gaskets available but I REALLY dont want to deal with it if I dont have to. Im also aware that a gasket isnt a necessity in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I personally don't care if I have a gasket or not.But if I were gonna do a cleanout burn and wanted to protect the gaskets I would just cover the top and bottom gasket area with HDAF and hope for the best.I think this would also keep the lid and base from sticking together after the cool down.I have NOT tried this and have no idea that it works It is ONLY a suggestion. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

With the 'older' felt gaskets it seems like they are pretty hearty. However, long exposure to very high temperatures may be a problem - especially if there is any kind of air leak between the two surfaces.

I have the same concern, my large is about 2.5 years old.

When I see creosote build up in the dome, rather than using a balled up ball of aluminum foil, I get a large stiff funnel. Put the wide end of the funnel against the dome and clean off the creosote. The funnel does a good job in cleaning. I think I have done this twice since getting the large.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Hoss,

I wonder about using aluminum foil between he gaskets when doing the actual burn.

The weak point in the gasket is the adhesive, I am thinking the aluminum foil may act as a heat sink, drawing heat into the gasket.

I have used aluminum foil once to prevent sealing shut when I noticed my gasket was sliding during a higher temperature cook. I had shut both vents down and put strips between the gaskets. That worked well.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Ron I have done dozens of high temp cleaning burns on my original large with no problems. When I want to replace the gasket I'll create a gap between the base and dome and crank up the temps to help burn out the old gasket.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I have no idea GG,that was just an idea. :huh: :unsure:
  • Grandpas Grub

me too...

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    something ive not tried but just thought of is maybe boiling water in there for several hours to maybe help lift any build up first, then trying a shorter high temp burn. i remember once cooking brunswick stew and the insides were peeling off big chunks of tar paper looking buildup, i ended up using the cover for most of the cook because it was peeling and falling into the stew. might shorten the high temp burnoff duration
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Does the buildup hurt anything? I've had my egg for several years now and I've never done a cleaning burn. I haven't seen any ill effects.