Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finishing a Roast in the oven

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started smoking a chuck roast too late. I kept the temp down around 200-225. Seven hours later the meat thermometer was hovering around 135. An hour and a half before people were to show-up for dinner, I took it out of the Egg and wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven. My questions are: What temp should the meat get to in the Egg for a slow roast? Any advice for speeding it up when running behind schedule? Any other secrets? Thanks, William

Comments

• William Tell,
    How did it turn out with the "method" you used? Seems like it should have been done in the 7 hours. No problem throwing it in the oven...that has probably happened to all of us.[p]I cook mine a little hotter, in about half the time. In fact, I give it a bit of a sear in the very beginning to get things started.[p]I coat them with a wet mustard rub that I mix up, and let them marinate over night. (mustard, chopped garlic, Anchovies, pepper, crushed red pepper, Old Bay Seasoning, Cardamon, Star Anise, Garlic Rice Vinegar, Olive Oil)[p]I slice em, add a mushroom sauce, and throw it on a bun. In fact, we just did one last night. I pull them between 155 and 170, depending on how much time I have. I can't brag about these, but they are OK for a cheaper chunk of meat. They make good sandwiches with a minimal amount of fuss. [p]Mike in MN

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    William Tell, it depends on what you want to do with it. It you want to slice it you might be done. At 135 it is safe to eat but will be on the rare side. At 160 you'll have a nice medium roast.

• It was dry and hard, not much better than leather. I thought I needed to get the meat temp up near 190, or so for it to have the falling apart texture.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    William Tell,[p]I've tried making pulled beef to 200° internal from a chuck roast and while it wasn't quite as tough as yours, and it did pull, it was much drier than pork butt roasts done the same way. I've been told that even though a chuck roast has some marbling of fat through it, its still a much leaner piece of meat. [p]I'll stick to fall apart tender chuck roast done in a dutch oven on the egg...you get the same result and it's easy![p]pot-roast-served.jpg[p]Try it, you'll LOVE it!
    QBabe
    :~)

• William Tell,
    Taking it to 190º causes the meat to toughen back up from over cooking.
    This cut had you braised or cooked like you would a pot roast in the oven you could have gotten it to fall apart.
    135º to 160º internal was the right temp depending on how done you like beef.
    jim