Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small or mini

Options
golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do 75% of my cooking for just the whife and I. I have a large and am thinking about purchasing either a small or mini. Also any ideas on what the costs should be?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    probably 90% of my cooking is just for 2 of us as well, but of my four eggs my small is my go to egg! The mini is nice but really small with its 9" grate, but the small with its 13" is much more versatile.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Most of the responses will recommend the small.

Just the two of us here too. It is pretty hard to eat large steaks and large portions of food.

Since getting my mini over a year ago, I have only used the small 3 or 4 times. My 'go to' is the mini. If I need more space I will use the medium or put a small amount of lump in the large and use it.

It took me a long time and several trips looking at the mini before deciding to buy it. It just looked too small to be of practical use. I was wrong.

It is pretty easy to cook for the wife and I as well as up to 3 grand kids on the mini. This type of cook is burgers, dogs, brats etc.

When making your decision I wouldn't use price as a deciding factor.

GG
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    The small is more practical, but the mini is more fun.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have both as well.
    If you are not going to travel around with your new egg I would go for the small knowing your next size egg is the large. Lots more cooking options and the grate to lump distace is more scaled to your large and easy to cook and add indirect cooking options.
    The mini is fun for some strange reason but if I had to give up either my small or my mini the mini would go.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I have a large and added a small, no regrets
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Yea, what Kent said. You'd be surprise how well the mini performs (so far for me).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kent,

I just re-read your post and saw what you said. I would give up the small as well. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    MINI work for my wife and I just fine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I own a mini and not a small and I love it.
    If you want to be able to take it with you places, the mini is easier at 35lbs. If portability isn't a concern I'd probably go for the small for the reasons previously stated.

Cooking on a mini is similar to cooking on a Hibachi.
    When I was a kid we used a Hibachi all the time so the Mini wasn't hard for me to get used to.