Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large vs XL BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Starting to get serious about moving to the BGE to replace my current smoker...getting nothing but great reviews about the BGE...next question, do I need a Large or XLarge BGE??? What are the pro's and con's of going to the XL?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A little surprised there are no responses to this...

You need to let us know how many people you cook for normally and also when you have people over.

Also, there are some really good post regarding this same subject which can be located by using the forum search feature.

The size will depend on your needs. Both have their advantages.

I can cook for 26 people in one cook on my large. I need to choose what I am going to cook.

GG
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It depends on your cooking needs. I would ask how many people in your family do you normally cook for? How many large cooks would you do? How often do you entertain? While the XL is a great cooker it is a very large cooker. I started out with an XL and it fits me needs. Shortly after I acquired a large. I love being able to cook entire meals on the Eggs and I do a great deal of large cooks and entertaining. I have a family of 3 that I normally cook for and more often than not my large is sufficient. I am looking to get another large in the very near future. The large is the most popular and the most versatile as there are many accessories available to provide more space. The XL does have its advantages. When grilling the other sizes are out matched by the XL because of the grid space. You are able to cook several racks of ribs or briskets flat on the grid without modification. But on a regular basis the Large is the work horse.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    I have a large, and I've cooked meals for 12 people no problemo.

I'm having a big BBQ next month - about 20 persons - and I'm quite confident "mr large" can handle it. I'll be doing a butt or two (overnighters), ribs, and probably some ABTs among a few other tidbits.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,768
    Options
    depends on how much grill space you need. this is a large with 7 full breasts on it, thats 14 bone in chicken breasts from the supermarket. feeds a fair amount, could have used a second raised grid and cooked double. the second pic is 32 pounds of butt and brisket, feeds a small army. that second cook would have been easier on an xl, but the large will manage it. it takes many a long time to buy that first egg, but most buy a second egg without even thinking about it, you may want to put that into the equation.

DSC_0597.jpg

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LunaC
    LunaC Posts: 18
    Options
    I went with a large thinking it would make more sense since I do alot of quick cooks for myself. Now that I have a mini and portable IR, I kinda wish I went with an XL especially after hearing that they will have a taller lid soon???