Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast on the Egg???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking to cook about a 6lb turkey breast on the egg and was curious if anyone had any suggestions on how to cook it, how long, spices, etc.?? I'm going to do a "trial run" this weekend to see if we like it for Thanksgiving. Thanks for any input!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Tracy,
    yours is a frequent question and als a real BGE success story as well. Look back at the archives and the recipe sections for ideas, but the simple rule of thumb even for turkey breasts is 325° dome - 20 minutes per pound for rough estimate of time and 165° internal temp for meat which is the best way to guage proper doneness with a 20 minute rest before carving, . Need/benefit from brining depends more on the processor's treatment of the breast than anything. Smoking is your preference etc etc. One hint even if you don't smoke the breast is to throw a whole peeled onion on the hot coals before the breast goes on - it will make your neighbors invite themselves over so buy a bat to keep them at bay!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    RRP,
    yep, the BGE was made for Turkey/Turkey Breast's. They really do come out nice. Just watch the temps, and pull it when it's at 165. EZ. A polder style probe thermometer is necessary.[p]I like to brine them for awhile, then dry and rub with olive oil and my favorite seasonings. Indirect with the platesetter, a drip pan with water and treats (onions, garlic, mushrooms, chopped sauteed junk parts (heart, gizzard, etc) bay leaves, seasonings, etc) You can use this mixture for gravy or juice.[p]If you start out at a higher temp (400) for about 10 minutes I find it helps to brown them up a bit. Then let the temp drop to your set point.[p]
    Mike in MN

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I've noted more than one post from you recently where you mentioned use of water in the drip pan. Are you an old water smoker too? I find myself more often than not lately, putting water in my drip pan like I used to in the "old days." And I don't mind it, I still find the egg to be vastly superior to the old Brinkman.[p]Also, what do you put in your brine? I did my first one last Thanksgiving following Alton Brown's recipe...I'll never inject a bird again!