Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas..

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I wanted to do like 8 pies on the egg, one right after the other, what kind of problems am I going to run into.. [p]Will the tile get too hot, causing my crusts to burn, after so many, Or will that be ok..[p]Think a full load of lump will burn that hot for that long,
say 2 hours..[p]
Thanks alot,
Dylan

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, I did 3 one day, one right after the other with no problems. Lump should easily last two hours or so that it will take. Biggest problem I had was that I wanted the temp to stay at 550 and it kept creeping down to about 400. I probably should have allowed a bit more time (say 5 minutes rather than none) between cooks.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    I am no expert, but I have done multiple pies. They seem to get better as you go along, so really no problem with multiples. You could be stretching it with the fuel if you have larger pies....but with a good healthy load you should be able to stretch two hours at 500. [p]Have fun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Like the other said there is no real problem but I have noticed that after the first 2 or three the stone gets a little hotter and the time for cooking gets a little shorter. Just watch the crusts on the later ones. I have never done more than 4 large ones which took about 12-16 min each. [p]Tim
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    bake.gif
    <p />Q.N.E. tyme,[p]I have been using pizza screens with grest success. I have two of them and just change them with the next pie (or loaf of bread)! I used them for fresh buttermilk biscuits at eggtoberfest!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Dylan:[p]Make sure you preheat the cooker and the pizza stones before cooking.
    [/b]
  • Q.N.E. tyme,
    Thanks guys.. Sounds like I will be ok.. These will be small pies.. From the new Nick and Willys take and bake by my house.. The pies I will be getting are like 8 inch pies..[p]Ive experimented in the oven with them, They call for 425.. 14 minutes, But I did a couple on my oven stone at 500 and they were done in like 8-1o minutes..[p]So Im just going to do one, take it off, wait five minutes then do another .. Sound ok?[p]Oh Yeah one more thing... I have two stones.. But only one is the egg one.. Could I put one on top of the other would that help?[p]If the stone gets too hot I can always use the oven so its no big deal really, but I want to put some smoke in them to make them that much better you know..

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    I would like to know where you purchased the pizza screens.[p]Thanks
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Dylan:[p]Using two stones with spacers between them (or feet if so designed) will help eliminate hot spots and promote more even cooking.[p]

[/b]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill:[p]Here is an Internet source . . .

[/b]
  • Hanker'n2Grill,[p]I got them at a local resaurant supply store. The link djm5x9 showed has good prices (less than I paid ... but you have to consider shipping). If you get one, It goes right on top of the pizza stone.[p]Honey, you smell "Smokey"
  • djm5x9,
    Great.. thanks for the tip and the link.. Those looked great.. Im afraid I wont cook them as high as you do because .. well, because Im afraid...~~~~~~~[p]
    Im ok as high as 500° now though so...
    [p]
    Thanks alot..[p]
    Dylan

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Dylan,[p]I've done 8 pies in an evening numerous times. All the advise is dead on. Use the setup that Darryl recommends. The chances of hot spots on the top stone will be minimal with the setup.[p]Load the Egg full of lump, and make sure you allow enough time for the Egg to reach your baking temp. Maintaining an internal temp around 500F should be pure mechanical.[p]Have fun,
    Puj

• Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Are they "large stones"??? ;-) Why are you going to wait 5 minutes? Wouldn't that allow the stone to get too hot? Good luck Dylan.

• Scottie,
    Yes I have a set of Very large Stones ~~~... Hey Im only guessing, but I assume the pie, when its cooking, takes some of the heat out of the stone, so you let it heat back up a bit before the next... [p]
    Dylan