Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parents coming to visit !!

OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok - gotta impress the bejeebeez outta them...

Thinking of doing some smoked salmon in the morning, then some ribs in the afternoon.

Following that - I just might try and do some ABTs (crank the heat up).

Comments? Recs? Side dishes? :silly:

Comments

• How long are they staying?? What is your specialty on the egg?
    I would cook them a big fat steak that is better than any restaurant!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    how about you ask them.....sometimes folks are amazed by a simple burger that nails a craving.

dang, a juicy grilled cheeseburger with grilled onions and soft roll sounds good right about now.....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I agree with Faith, do some steak. Sear the Sh*t out of them practically black on the outside and succulent pink in the middle.

Do a whole chicken(forget the beer can & spatchcock). Let one of them carve it so as to experience the juiceness, or better yet everyone just stand around and pick it apart'

Potato's Gratin in a CI skillet(lots of fresh cream & premium cheese).

Fruit Cobbler in a D.O.

ABT's... Do old people like heat? ;)

Good luck. They will be impressed.
  • OttawaEgg
    Well, I do happen to have some lovely NY strips...

I do some pretty darn good ribs and butt too.

I have asked them, haven't got the email back yet.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Do you have an outdoor seating area? You could lay down some butchers paper or newspaper on the table and have a "pig pull". Plop a warm Butt down in the middle, give everyone some latex gloves(or not), ear of buttered corn, and some white bread. BBQ sauce optional.

OK, so In have a thing for eatin meat with my hands..
  • OttawaEgg
    LOL

Yeah, I have a two-tiered deck with all the appropriate furnishings. Not so sure a pair of 70+ year olds want to dig through a slab of pork though!

A neat idea for a party nevertheless!!
  • OttawaEgg,

I did up some spatchcock cornish hens on Saturday and they were very yummy. My parents are coming up in September so these are at the top of the list. I'm also thinking of making lasagna, something you would not normally associated with a BBQ :evil: :woohoo: .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• OttawaEgg
    I think I want to do something that you just can't (even "sort of") do on a gasser. Point is, the egg does everything a gasser can do (only better), plus it does a whole lot more.

So far I've got smoked salmon, pork butt, ribs (can SORTA be done - but not the same).

If I do a butt, its an overnighter - then I'd crank the heat up for something else (ABT's is one). On the other hand, smoked salmon is a favourite and I can do that in the morning, then slap ribs on, then do some ABTs.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    PIZZA :laugh:

ummm can you tell I love pizza

or the spatchcook chicken

or lamb and then make some pita on a stone in it and have some cucumber salad and tomatoes and a yogurt sauce....

can you tell I also obsessively think about things I could cook on an Egg - :ermm: just think how bad I will be when I finally do get one :laugh:
  • OttawaEgg
    Pizza is an idea.. but you mentioned LAMB....

Wifie isn't keen on lamb, but she did try (and love) the boneless leg I did on the old gasser a few years ago (using a rotisserie). It would be fantastic on the egg!

Here's what I'd do on the egg:

I get a leg of lamb from the butcher, and have them bone it and tie it up.

Marinate it overnight in a bucket of beer, dijon mustard, and basil - no salt, no pepper. (same shtick I did for the gasser)

Pat it dry, and apply some type of lamb-friendly rub.

Get the egg up to about 350, platesetter, drip pan - put it in the roasting rack (I used the rib-holder upside down). As for wood, lamb can probably handle a mesquite so I'd go for that.

Yank that lil puppy off when it hits about 140-145. Tent n rest.

Now ya got me thinking !! LOL :woohoo:
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    when you do that take pictures - and tell me if it is anywhere near as good am my mind is making it taste :D