Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato Bacon Torte pictorial

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw this recipe on Food Network this morning. Made a pie crust with 2 sticks of butter, 2.5 cups of AP flour, and a tsp of salt. Divided it into two portions and let rest in the fridge. Chopped 4 strips of bacon and browned them. Put 2/3 cup of heavy cream in a small sauce pan with 4 sprigs of thyme and brought to a simmer. Turned off the heat an let steep while I finished the rest of the dish.

IMG_1554Small.jpg

Rolled out one of the crusts and put into pie dish. Sliced some russet potatoes and layered them in the crust. Put a third of the bacon and salt and pepper on the slices. I left 1/4 of the pie without bacon for my vegetarian daughter.

IMG_1556Small.jpg

Did two more layers of potatoes and bacon. Then removed the thyme sprigs from the cream and poured it over the potatoes. Next I covered the pie with grated gruyere cheese.

IMG_1559Small.jpg

I rolled out the second crust and topped the pie, crimped it and brushed on an egg wash.

IMG_1560Small-1.jpg

Put on the Egg indirect at 375 dome.

IMG_1561Small.jpg
IMG_1563Small.jpg

The recipe said 1 hour but I wasn't happy with the color of the dough so I went an hour and 15 minutes.

IMG_1567Small.jpg

It didn't get the pretty color I was hoping for but it was light and flaky.

IMG_1570Small.jpg

All in all I would say this is a fair amount of work but worth it. The thyme infused cream and the Gruyere made for a really great flavor. And considering that was my first home made pie crust, it was fantastic. The recipe is on the Food Network site under $10 dollar meals. -RP

IMG_1573.jpg

Comments