Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would I win the Darwin award?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Proud owner of a new large BGE and dying to use it. Trouble is, I don't have a stand and am planning to build my own in a couple of weeks. The thought of leaving it sitting there in its box for all that time is killing me though!

Since it's in the garage right now, I was thinking about moving it towards the garage door and setting it up there. Floor is concrete so I was thinking that I could just throw the feet under it, open the main garage door as well as the side door, and give it a whirl. I think I even have a box fan to keep air circulating. No worries about stink, smoke or carbon monoxide in the house, the garage is detached and faces an alley.

What do you think? Would I win the Darwin award if I used it like that for a few weeks until the stand is built and I can move it out onto the deck?

Comments

• Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Why not set them up outside? This is how I kept my eggs for the first year and a half:

DSC00698-1.jpg

Before I built them a new home:

IMG_0427.jpg

Get a nice level place, place a few concrete blocks, a patio paver (18"x18"), the feet, and egg - and start Egging!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice new home Lab Rat.

Teach42, congratulations on your new egg. I wouldn't wait to use it, but I would be careful where you put until your table is built. You wouldn't want it to get knocked around.

Of course, not using it might get you butt in a higher gear and get the table done quicker. :)

GG
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    No sir, although if you don't get it going, that's when things can get out of control. Your new green buddy don't give a hoot about what it's sitting on. It only wants a load a lump, some fire and a bunch o food.

Enjoy :) and as questions arise, fire away.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Wow, I'm envious of such a beautiful set-up. A lovely outdoor kitchen you got there.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Tooot Tooot....Look at'em go. Great set-up! ;)
  • @Grandpas Grub: LoL, unfortunately it's more due to travel schedule than anything else. Going to be a few weeks before I'll have any dedicated time to work on it.

@Lab Rat: WOW. Nice set up. My biggest concern is that if I move it outside, then it's going to be within range of my dog and 2.5 year old running around in the backyard. We have a two car garage and are only parking one car in it right now, so there's ample space and my kid doesn't play in there at all. So I figure it's probably the most secure place.

I do see that in the first pic, you have one of the eggs sitting on the ground, just on the feet that came with it. Any problems cooking with it like that?
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    No sir, although if you don't get it going, that's when things can get out of control. Your new
    green buddy don't give a hoot about what it's sitting on. It only wants a load a lump, some fire and
    a bunch o food.

Right on :) Methinks I'm gonna see if I can get that sucker set up and fired tonight then!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    A couple of cynder blocks would get it up easer to cook on but as long as you wont die of CO2 fire that sucker up. Just a thought. Make sure where ever you fire it up at you can leave till morning as it will be hot for a spell. ;)
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    No problem leaving it on the concrete patio with the feet. I eventually put both of mine up on concrete blocks and pavers to get them to a more comfortable cooking height.

Here is my final set up before the outdoor kitchen:

DSC01167.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Darwin award recipients have to be decreased as the award is given to the most ingenious way of removing yourself from the gene pool.

I'd wait ...
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Had mine for 2 weeks before I finished my table. really wanted to use it,but didn't want to take a chance damaging it.
    misc016.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    I think the winners are from the very shallow end of the pool! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Well, after standing in my garage and debating with myself whether to set it up or not, I realized that I had a boatload of scrap wood lying around.

SO, instead of unpacking the egg tonight, I decided to build a real quick, ugly, but solid temporary table from the scraps. Got the frame completed, but couldn't finish it up... because I ran out of screws. Took that as a sign to call it quit for the night.

Hope to finish it up tomorrow night. Won't be pretty, but it'll be solid as a rock and serve just fine until I build the sort of table I really want.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • Glad to see that you came on board as a member!!! Welcome to the Eggworld!!!