Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, What is it and how would you burn?

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got from church and visiting parents. Stopped by Brookshires looking for something to cook and wife wanted ribeye. All they had was select and not very good looking at that but they did have this:
LATEJuly09food137.jpg

Package bills it as a BONLESS SHORT RIB but you know what that means. Came off the side of a cow some where! :laugh: Would you low and slow hese things or grill them up like a stake after marinating them with some'en? Sugestions welcomed! ;)

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would grill em hot and fast like a well marbled steak...tough to tell what piece of meat that might be..but it sure looks like it will taste good..
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Boneless short ribs would normally be a chuck section cut and probably tough if you cook it hot and fast. I think I'd cook it low and slow like ribs indirect.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • OpusXcellent
    Options
    I would marinade it in sum terrikaki (sp?) sause then grill it hot and fast to get a nice char and serve with some white rice ans a salad in a strafoam container and pretend you are having take out!!!
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    I bet those will be tougher than all get out if cooked high. Low and slow baby!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Sear 'em first at high temp..then put'em in a CI skillet on the egg and cook like a sirloin with a gravy for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours...this will get them the crunch of the sear with the slow cook to tenderize 'em...I'd use some kinda flour based gravy and maybe add some beer in there somewhere and call it 'steak 'n ale' :woohoo: ...good luck!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Agree with everyone so far. Both low and slow and hot and fast! :laugh: They look like a really good marbled chunk of stake for a hot and fast BUT something tell's me they will be tough. I am making sushi rice with the tuna I am cooking with the ribeyes tonight. Been a hectic week end and want to relax tonight.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I think they will be super no matter how you cook em. Your cooks are always Top Shelf, and as always Jake will approve.
    Now about that cat. ????? Smiles to you & wife and all your four legged buds. :laugh: :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Eggtucky I kind of like that idea! Not a real fan of triditional gravey though. Squirrel gravey is about the only kind of flower/milk gravey I like BUT wounder what kind of liquid I could simmer them in for a replacement? The wheels turn.....slow! :P
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JL,

We get short rib roasts here. They are pretty tough. I'm on the low and slow side. I have short ribs on right now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Options
    how about using a marinade along the lines of a Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs --

Ingredients: 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1/4 piece of grated pear, 2 tsp of grated ginger, 1-2 tsp sugar

If you can get an Asian Pear it is best but any pear would do - I would put it all in a ziplock bag - mush it around and let it sit for a few hours (or overnight if you think it will be tough) - then grill it ... you can marinade some veggies in the same sauce and grill - like mushrooms and onions - and serve with a cucumber salad

as I said this is along the lines of a Korean BBQ beef recipe - not exact but good - of course since I still don't have my egg I haven't done it on an egg but have done it on my stove grill...
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    based on my well marbled mystery meat mis adventure of a few weeks ago... i would slice a 1/4 in thck piece a flash it in the pan insisde >>> take a bite> if it is tough you got to go low for while and as it is getting near meds sear it and braise in some tomato based sauce..
    if it is tender you know what to do..
    i am betting on tough...
    good luck
    bill
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Asian ribs. I like that idea combined with Eggtuckys cast iron and going to add my on twist as I have no pears. Thanks for all the suggestions. Time to fire the Egg and start taking pics! :whistle:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    From your picture it looks a lot like skirt steak from here.
  • CPB
    CPB Posts: 133
    Options
    cooksillustrated had a recent article on boneless short ribs, they wrote it up as a lower fat alternative to bone in short ribs, cook them the same way.
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    I've had them before. Used the 3-1-1 method just like I do with regular ribs. Mine turned out tender and very good. Along the lines of Pot Roast! I would do them again. But that's just me!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    is your brookshire's carrying frontier lump. supplier to brookshire's use to have picnic lump, very good stuff. supplier changed to frontier, so brookshire's switiched. have you tried frontier. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like your approach! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    If the label is correct, I'd go low and slow. I'd also slather them with some kind of sauce to keep'em moist.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    JL,

A good ole southern boy would know how to make up a good tomato gravy to go with that, if you go the gravy route!