Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sea scallops?

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought some large sea scallops from Costco and was wondering if anyone has a simple preparation for an appetizer. I would rather not wrap in bacon if I can help it. Just a simple sauce or seasoning and cooking temp. I will be cooking these before a couple of Prime NY strips for my wife's birthday tomorrow night. Also some goat cheese mashed potatoes and greenbeans with lemon and pecans.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Real simple, Wrap in aluminum foil with butter, salt and lemon juice. Put on with the last few minutes of the steaks depending on thick they are.
    Don't over cook.[p]CWM

• bigmikej,
    and make yourself a nice sauce which may consist of:
    sour cream , horseradish, a little dijon mustard, and fresh cracked black pepper. The sauce will go good with both of 'em.

• bigmikej,[p]This one is fantastic! The Ritz crackers make a buttery crust that complements the tender scallops perfectly! Simple, too.[p]Lee[p]Baked Scallops [p]20 Ritz crackers
    black pepper to taste
    1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions[p]1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish. [p]2 Sprinkle scallops with pepper. Place crushed Ritz crackers in a small bowl. Press scallops into crackers so that they are evenly coated, and place them in the greased baking dish. [p]3 In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, garlic, wine and lemon juice; drizzle mixture over scallops.

4 Bake in preheated oven until scallops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley. [p]

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]Here's a recipe from a chef friend of mine that's super easy and pretty tastey as well. Although I love bacon-wrapped scallops I make this for shrimp now and then as it's a bit healthier and a good change of pace, also is awesome on shrimp. This should do for about a pound of either:[p]Mango-Orange Barbecue Glaze:[p]1 c bottled spicey mango chutney (Major Grey's is commonly available and the non-spicey works fine too)
    1 c orange juice
    1/2 c barbecue sauce (homemade is better but bottled works fine too, I like a spicey BBQ sauce for the kick)
    (Optional) one or two canned chipotle peppers. I added this to the recipe he gave me and I think it absolutely improves the dish. Gives it a really nice sweet/hot complexity that guests never believe comes from 3 or 4 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time.[p]That's it. Just put them all in a blender until they're pureed and marinate the scallops or prawns for 15 to 30 minutes and brush on the glaze as they cook frequently.[p]Todd[p]

• Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Options
    bigmikej, I recently had a great meal at Carrabas, a nightly special, filets with shrip and scallops, the seafood had been pan seared, with some type of crumb crust, put on top of the meat, then a lemon butter sauce over all, very, very good meal, the best I've ever had from a large resturant chain, interesting textures and flavors, not what you were asking about but maybe keep a few out.

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I've done larger sea scallops & large shrimp the same way. Marinate in vac sealer container if you have one, otherwise ziploc's wokr too. Depending upong how many you have, add about 1/2 cup of lemon/lime juice or any other citrus juice for that matter. Add a handful of fresh chopped chives, your favorite seasoning(s), I use about 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder, grind some fresh peppercorns over them, marinate in fridge for up to 1/2 day. I cook indirect, with a cooking grid on top of my plate setter. Dome temp is around 450. 3-5 minutes, then rebaste & flip. Don't overcook or they will be rubbery. You can also wait to add a few shakes of your favorite seasoning until you remove & serve. I have even used salad dressing to cook in when I'm in a hurry. That actually worked good too. Cajun seasonings have also proven good results to me.