Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Documenting my third cook of a pork shoulder

Options
bryansj
bryansj Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder on the Big Green Egg

Documenting my third attempt at slow cooking a pork shoulder. The fire was lit Friday at about 7:30 PM and put out about 24 hours later.
[ul]
[li]Boneless pork shoulder from Costco weighing about 7.5 lbs. Coated with yellow mustard and Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust Rub for about five hours. Maverick ET-73 food probe inserted into the center.[/li]
bge01.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]The ashes were removed and the air holes were checked to be clear. Existing charcoal was pulled up along the sides and new Royal Oak Lump Charcoal was filled up to about half way up the fire ring. Two handfuls of apple wood chips were placed in and lightly stirred into the charcoal. Most of the chips were just right below the surface. The fire was started at about 7:30 PM using a starter cube. We had just cooked salmon a couple hours prior up to about 450°F so the ceramic was still hot and some hot coals remained around the sides at the bottom. [/li]
bge02.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]The Plate Setter, drip pan with foil, and grid were placed in when the temperature hit about 240°F.[/li]
bge03.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li] The lid was closed and the vents were adjusted to hit about 250°F [/li]
bge06.jpgbge07.jpg"
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]An hour after starting the fire and the temperature at 250°F the pork shoulder went in on the V-rack. The ET-73 smoker probe was placed dead center under the rack. Both probes were wrapped with foil and plugged into the transmitter. [/li]
bge04.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Fifteen hours later the food probe read 195°F, smoker temp was 230°F, and the dome temp was 250°F. During the night the smoker temp alarm went off at 205°F while the food temp was around 155°F. The dome temp had dropped a bit so I bumped it back up to 250°F.[/li]
bge05.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]With the Thermopen I checked a few spots for temperature and found a few areas cooler than 195°F. I relocated the food probe to the coolest area and closed the lid. I never opened the lid prior to this. After another hour and a half all spots checked out to 195°F and it was pulled off and foil wrapped. Then it was wrapped in a beach towel and placed in a cooler (warmer?) for two hours.[/li]
bge08.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]After removing the pork shoulder I removed the drip pan and temperature probes. I opened the vents to get the temperature up to 450°F. I threw in lunch and it was ready 10 minutes later.[/li]
bge09.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]I removed the grid and dropped the temperature to about 350°F. I mixed two cans of Bush's Baked Beans, chopped onions, brown sugar, Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce, a can of water, and pulled pork from a chuck removed prior to wrapping. I threw in some more apple wood chips and stoked the fire. The beans were cooked lid off for about an hour and then lid on for the remainder of the time. Three ears of corn were soaked in water and placed in towards the end.[/li]
bge10.jpg
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]The pork was removed from the wrap and pulled by hand using two forks. Bark heavy pieces were placed along the edge. Additional Dizzy Dust Rub was lightly sprinkled on the pulled pork. The beans and corn were removed from the egg and cole slaw removed from the refrigerator. Williamson Bros. Barbeque sauce was used for the pork.[/li]
bge11.jpg
[li]Time to eat.[/li]
[/ul]

*Photos taken with a Canon 40d with a 17-55mm IS f/2.8 lens.

Comments