Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watermelon Rind Pickles

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some one grilled these Saturday. Two questions,recipe, and where, short of making them yourself, did you find the pickles. I,ve known folks to make them for themselves but when you ask for them at the grocery store they look at you like your some kind of "EGGHEAD". Thanks!!

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    poppasam,
    All you do is wrap pickled watermelon rind with bacon and secure with a toothpick. We cook at 350 on a fish/veggie grid on a raised grill until the bacon is done. You have to watch them closely and rotate them often, because with the high sugar content they burn easily. I have gotten them at Albertsons in Louisiana (they were with the olives for some reason...not the pickle row), and have also seen them in Amish Country in Ohio. Here is a link to get them online. They have them in 16oz. and quart size. [p]~nikki[p]

[ul][li]Pickled Watermelon Rind[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    poppasam,
    My daughter and myself was making the bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind at Eggtoberfest.We cook the like Nikkig said.I do sprinkle them with Tony Chachere's cajun seasonings.I use Jake and Amous watermelon rind that I buy at Cherokee Home and Hearth here in Augusta.I have bought Old South brand at Kroger stores.
    Larry

[ul][li]Tony C's Cajun Spices[/ul]
  • YB,Thanks, yours must have been the ones we sampled Sat. I checked at Our local Kroger and Publix and they had never heard of watermelon pickles. We may have to go to Harry's in Atlanta. Of course everyone I tell about them look at me strange.We though they were great and plan to take some to a friends party next week. We've been a Tony's user for years. I use it in boiled peanuts,on potatoes,corn on the cob, chicken, and about everything else but popcorn. Tried that once and it took 4 cokes to get the bag ate. Thanks again, Poppasam
  • YB
    Options
    Poppasam,
    Your welcme...We are glad you liked them.
    Larry

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Poppasam,
    Part of the problem of finding them might be how you are asking for them. Try asking for "pickled watermelon rind" instead of "watermelon pickles". Good luck on your hunt, and buy alot...they are addicting![p]~nikki

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I knew I missed something up there, Larry! Ok, so I missed I lotta stuff, but I wanted some of these! LOL! I have some rinds on order, so I'll be making some soon!![p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• YB
    Options
    JSlot,
    Here is a picture of the Bacon Wrapped Pickled Watermelon Rind we cooked at Mr.Toads house.
    Larry

[ul][li]Bacon Wrapped Watermelon Rind[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That's not really fair, Larry! I still have to sit here and drool for another hour before I can go cook![p]Jim
  • a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    poppasam,[p]I know you said "short of making them yourself," but if you have no other choice there is a good recipe for these in the bible a.k.a. "Smoke & Spice."[p]
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    poppasam,
    I get them in gallon cans here in Mont. Al. from SUNDAY DINNER it's a resturant supply store,but anyone can buy there.They or something like it should be avil. in most larger cities. Good luck. Bob