Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you need a gasket

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many of you guys are cooking w/out a gasket? I've read a few posts where some guys don't use them at all. Is there a notacable difference in cooking w/out one? Do you think the egg is more air-tight with a gasket as opposed to without? Allthough i guess the gasket must be doing something if people take the time ti replace a gasket instead of cooking without one.... :S just curious.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    My gaskets are so flat and crusty after a few years of use. I have considered replacing, but they don't leak and I don't mind the looks.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like the idea of having a gasket if for no other reason than for the cushion it provides.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    gaskets are not needed, its a myth. well actually if you have a tendency to drop the dome they may help. mine leaks all over the place, not even a hint of gasket on there. there are people that wont get the temps up when needed because they are protecting the gasket, but i say if i want to cook my pizza at 1200 because thats what i want today, i cook at 1200 and dont worry, even with it leaking i can hold 145 degrees for several hours cooking jerky.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    From Dec thru Apr I went thru a couple of felt gaskets on my medium and in between I cooked without them - no noticable difference in eggin', albeit, I personally like the cushion provided given my heavy handedness.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now cooking with a Large and Small - NO GASKET.
    Not finding any problems w/o gasket.
    My large lasted about 45 days from new and my small lasted about a 1 1/2 years.
    Not going to replace
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,

Can't burn em if y'aint got em. Peace of mind :P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    and you really aint cooking if you cant get it hot hot hot. :laugh: scary opening a 1200 degree egg. never seen fire proof clothing listed as an accessory :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I think it probably depends on how leaky your Egg is without them. Mine where black and crusty for about 2 years and I didn't have a problem. Then I got just enough of a leak to start throwing off my temps on low 'n' slow cooks.
    When I replaced them a couple weeks ago with Nomax, I noticed 2 places where the gasket was pretty much gone - one spot top left, one spot bottom right. With where my Egg sits on our deck, those 2 spots line right up with the direction of the prevailing winds. Might be coincidence, but I think that once the the wind started to blow it blew right through those gaps and messed up the temps.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The best use of nomex.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sounds like you need to do a dollar bill test and align the dome.

If you have a Wavy Surface on the gasket surface, top or bottom that is another issue and needs to be addressed with BGE.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Reading some of the responses it seems like there needs to be some clarification. Gasket failure can actually be adhesive failure, most common

medgasket3.jpg

Actual gasket failure - top right (felt in this case)
    gasket_bge.jpg

There is some felt gasket & gasket burn on the small pieces at the 9 o'clock position.

gasket2.jpg

My large has had several gasket replacements and for the most part I am cooking with not much if any gasket at all. Higher temperatures are not much of a problem. I can hold 200° dome with some fluctuation. Holding 275° dome is not much of a problem.

The problem I have is the longer time it takes for the lump to go out.

I have lost several gaskets on the medium, dome alignment is the biggest problem with that egg.

No, the egg is not more air tight without a gasket.

If the gasket was not needed I am sure BGE would want to save the non necessary cost and labor, let alone the aggravation of the 'bad batch' of adhesive that has prevailed over the last 5 or 6 months.

GG
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Haven't used one in years!