Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Guys Grill Corn on the Cob?

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering how most of you grill your corn on the cob. I used to butter it, and put it in foil. That worked well.

A couple of days ago, I completely shucked it, and grilled it direct with a little oil brushed on it. That was pretty good too.

Today, I pulled the husk down, removed the silk, and then pulled the husk back up over the corn. Then I grilled it with no presoak. That was the best I've had so far (but the corn was the freshest also).

Just curious how most of you do it.

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I just had some! I cut the ends off, leaving the husk on; soak it in water 30 minutes and grill. Turns out great every time; silk comes off really easy when you peal the husk back. Tonight we added some whiskey barrel chips for some added flavor. I will NEVER boil corn again unles that is my last resort! ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Craig, Cook Illustrated recently tested grilled corn techniques - shuck on, shuck off, soaking, non soaking, etc.

Their best results: Shucked and silked, salt water soak (1/2 cup in gallon of cold water) for 30 min (up to 8 hours). Then grill on hot grill for 10 minutes, turning every couple of minutes allowing to char, but not burn. Results are good char without drying out the kernels.

i've done this a couple of times and it turns out great!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Fill up my emile henry pot with sugar water, bring it to a boil, drop in a few ears, cover and cook for 10 minutes...on the grill of course, but traditional, not ON the grate. Keeps it moist, allows you to use the BGE for the cooking, always perfect.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Foil anything or a lid on the dutch oven for the entire cook and you may as well use the oven. That defeats the whole flavor the egg adds to the food.

In the past I have soaked the ears for 10 to 20 minutes, drained then put on the egg. The corn comes out fantastic. I am going to do a non soak, just put the entire ear, silk and all on the egg and see if I can tell the difference.

Same with baked potatoes, just a little EVOO and course salt and on the egg. No nails, no holes, and expecailly absolutely no foil.

The medium doing a side cook.
    cornpotato.jpg

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I still use the pre husked, silk removed, and tin foil wrapped method myself. With lots of butter wrapped up in there too.
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Shuck it, EVOO, S&P and grill it direct... It picks up the smoke nicely that way... :)

cow_and_corn.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Direct, shucked, rubbed with EVOO, S&P....grilled until carmelized. Sometimes we top with butter and chili powder, but our fave is a compound butter we make with butter and chipotle chilis. Can't go back to the husks now.... :laugh:
  • iBeeSmok'n
    iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
    Options
    I tried it this past weekend without soaking for about 40mins turning every 5mins and they were incredible.

IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    I guess that proves there's more than one way to skin a cat. It seems like the only method I haven't tried is the presoak. That Cooks Illustrated method sounds interesting. I'll have to try it.

Thanks for the responses.