Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hypnotherapy to Quit Smoking

Options
SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Pondering the thought of trying this. Have a friend in Dallas who quit after the first session. Anyone here try it? What were the results?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    chantix works, youll get a little irritable for a while, but i know two long time smokers that were off the butts in about a month.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    chantix works, youll get a little irritable for a while, but i know two long time smokers that were off the butts in about a month.

:( , it didn't work for me. I must just be weird. I've been doing some research at it seems that multiple sessions of hypnotherapy have the highest success rate (66%) between NRT and prescription (Zyban/Chantix)therapy.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    hypnosis worked for me and I've been clean now for 25 years. I started at age 18 and by age 40 it had grown to a 3 pack a day habit. I went through 2 sessions one week apart. There were 12 of us in the "class" and 6 of us had success. One thing for certain - and I don't mean to preach - you have to want to quit for yourself - not because someone wants you to - no matter how much you love them! Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 years ago, I just up and quit, my will to quit and improve my health finally came to the point where it was stronger than the addiction......5 years ago last Friday I decided I was in control of my body not cigarettes, its all I needed to quit

good luck, always here to support you
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Chris,

I quit cold turkey last April 8th and the forum here gave me the most outstanding support. I don't recommend cold turkey to anyone if they can get help. If you are ready to quit get help in any way shape or form that you can. I now spend my cigarette money for steaks to go on the egg and love that. :woohoo:

Gator

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chris,

We are doing it now. Been several weeks but not yet. One point is is that some of the post-hypnotic suggestions do embed themselves. Water is suggested heavily and I am drinking gallons per day. "The mere smell of food will fill you up" is another. I'm down about fifiteen pounds but still on the butts. I am totally confident that it will work in the end.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Just set them down and walk away from them. Don’t keep any fall back cig’s, etc. It’s miserable for a week, then a little better each week. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. When you say we, I’m guessing you and the wife. I’m sure it’s tougher for two in the same household. It was only me that had to quit; no hypno, cold turkey. All I can say is do it, sooner than later start any sort of exercise you like to keep going. I’m pulling for you.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Same here, I'm just 2 years behind you. Although I also quit chewing Cope at the same time. That's right, chewed and smoked :ohmy: I now see it as free beer, with all that money I ain't stickin into vitamin "N"
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I get free beer and you get free steaks :laugh: I'll trade a couple cold ones for a thick cut Eye ;)
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I quit July 9th. Well ok, I was admitted to the hosp with a serious case of pneumonia. I was in for a week. They offered me the inhalers and I turned them down. I made my mind up I was done with smoking after 25 years. I am still smoke free and plan to keep it that way. Cold turkey for me. Didn't want to trade one addiction for another.
    My BGE has been a tremendous help. I have been doing a ton of cooking during my recuperation to keep myself busy. Unfortunately, I go back to work next week.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Hard to list all of your names, but all of you who have been successful can only thank yourself for such a dramatic improvement in your health! Heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, lung disease, lung cancer, affecting loved ones with your second-hand smoke, mouth and throat cancer, probably other cancers. The list goes on!

You have also become younger. Studies show that smoking adds 7 years to your chronological age, ie a 25 yr old man's body is the equivalent of a 32 yr old non-smoker's body. After 3 months of non-smoking, one gains back a year, after 1 yr smoke-free, you get back 3 years, etc. until after 3 years of no smoking, your recover 6 years of your youth (the 7th year never comes back). :(

Anyway, just added the above as encouragement to stay smoke-free. I think you are all incredibly strong to do this. Congrats !!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    STEVE,

Praying and pulling for you and your wife. Quitting smoking is one of the hardest, yet most rewarding things you will probably ever do in your life.

Hang in there. Bravo for your courage!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gunnar,

Thanks my friend! I have quit for extended periods of time, several times in the past. I think I need this to have the feeling that once it's done..it is done.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Clark,

Done it a few times in the past. Really want to have this one be the last.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Options
    That Egg work is healthy smoking :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Nicotine is a drug that messes with your brain. Think back to the first time you ever puffed on a cigarette and how you gagged and coughed. The nicotine convinced your brain that this actually tastes good or why else would you ever have taken another puff? The addiction is very powerful. Write down a list of the reasons to stop smoking and then a list of the reasons to keep smoking. Looking at these lists logically should convince you what this drug does to your brain. Its always reasons like it relieves my stress, it calms me down, its something to do with my hands, it helps me keep weight off, or some other ridiculous reason. Just as ridiculous as thinking you have to smoke this brand or that brand but never xyz brand. Got news for ya, get caught out somewhere and run out of smokes and given enough time you would not only smoke an xyz, you would even pull a half smoked one out of an ashtray and smoke it. I earned my place on this soapbox after 30 years of 3 packs a day. I couldn't go from point A to point B without worrying if I had enough smokes. I walked away from them 15 years ago and never looked back. It was the single best gift I've given to myself. No matter what method, good luck, and just do it. -RP
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm still a smoker. For all the 'pros' you mentioned which aren't logical as you point out.

Nicotine is a weird drug as far how it affects people as well. You don't see casual heroin, meth or crack users. I have several friends that are either casual smokers or 'social' smokers that can put down a pack a day if I have a BBQ at my house and go without the next day. My wife's best friend has been off the cancer sticks now for more than 4 months and had quit several times before. Always for periods of more than a month, cold turkey when she quit with almost no cravings.

Tobacco is more or less addictive depending on your genetic/mental makeup.

Funny note on your (accurate) comment on smoking off brands or out of an ashtray if you're desperate. I used to smoke Menthols during the Summer months when I was younger because of the 'refreshing and cool' quality of it. I was amazed how many folks would approach me to bum a smoke that were obviously desperate and jonesing would turn a menthol down.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The key here is "given enough time". I always turned down menthals, but if it was the only port in the storm I'd have gladly taken it. -RP
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Well put. The old ashtray trick. I can't say I never did that. Wow, was that baaaaaad juju.
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    Good on you.
    I smoked for 35 years.
    I was convinced there was no life without smoking.
    I smoked a lot.
    I like you said thats it, Im done.
    I planned it for two weeks.
    I used the three stage patch system.
    It worked very well for me.
    Ten years and feeling so much better.
    Remember after about 7 to 10 days the nicotine is out of your system, after that its all in your head.
    Try anything.
    It's so worth it.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Once a smoker, always a smoker. I have "given up the habit" three times -- each time cold turkey. My current stint is approaching four years :woohoo:. Whichever way you go, you have to be totally committed to being smoke free and your commitment has to be there every day. Even today, I still experience "nic" fits from time to time. Luckily, smoking bans and society's negative attitude to smoking makes it a lot easier now to fend these fits off.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital