Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Oysters - bad results

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, i followed the old recipe I found in the archives. The pics look great, but they ended up overcooked. Operator error. THe recipe had large oysters. Mine were mixed, but only a few would be considered large. Therefore the 3 hour cook at 250*-300* resulted in dried up, overcooked oysters - flavor was good.
Recipe (from Gretl):
Pint of oysters (large), drained, but not washed. Place in bowl with 1/4 cup olive oil, add 2 heaping tsp. minced garlic and a hvy dash of hot sauce. Mix well. Place on a bed of rosemary on a rack. Place this over a drip pan filled with 1" white wine. Cook, indirect with alder (I used pecan) chips at 250-300*. She cooked hers for 3 hours. Too long for less than large oysters.
Other mistake I made was only about 1/2 inch of white wine which cooked away and charred. The egg smelled great while cooking (pecan smoke and rosemary).

Anyway - will definitely try again. Larger oysters, lower temp, more wine or dilute with water, and probably less time.
Here are the pics:
DSC_0001-1.jpg
DSC_0002_2.jpg
DSC_0003_2.jpg
No pics of finished oysters as I had already downloaded the first ones.

Comments