Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE forum. A ramble.

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. This is just a general post cuz I was reading through the forum (or the fraction of it that I can actually read with the time I have), and I realized how far it has come, and how much the egg community has grown. Plus, I don't think I have started a thread in quite some time ;-)

I've checked out many other forums in the ten or so years I have been hanging out here, and this one, by far, has the most activity. Dang (I say dang) you would have to spend several hours per day on here just to read and comprehend all the info....and you better be taking notes cuz there is a sheetload of information being thrown around.

What's wild is that there are people with all kinds of skills and interests, and all sharing selflessly. Detailed posts with pictures of every step of the cook, and answers to questions (often written by really good cooks) that took 10 minutes to an hour to compose. For instance, some of Stike's messages HAD to take an hour ;-) (kidding buddy)

Then there is the newbies....jumping in with enthusiasm, posting pictures and ideas. I have no idea on stats, but a whole bunch of new folks hop on this forum every day. Most of them lurking (side message.....all you frequent posters, don't forget about how many people are watching!!)

To keep my ramble going, the Eggtoberfest has become so popular that it's sold out. Really tight friends will be getting together, and most would have never met if not for this place. Many more new folk will attend the fest, and the old timers will automatically make them feel like they are at home.

Anyways, just rambling. It just really hit home tonight really how cool this community is, and the amazing food that is being cooked. What Ed Fisher, and everyone involved with BGE have done is mindboggling.

Dang!

Beers to yall.
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I have to say that what you have done is mindboggling :woohoo: I still need PH :woohoo:
  • GB Packers Fan
    Options
    All the people that have been the foundation of the forum and EGGing, such as yourself and many others have
    been great in helping all of us that have come along for the GREAT ride with all of the veterans!!!!!!!!!!! You guys share your knowledge and help to all of us trying to learn the skills of Egging. All of you have definitely made Anne & I feel like we have been friends forever. I am involved with many organizations, group funtions, etc., but nothing comes close to this family of EGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    well said chris. . .i second your commotion!! . . .i remember well that first weekend for the dizzy piggers and freerangers up in new holland, and my introduction that weekend to the big green egg, first at hillard's house, then with you and woo and hatch, and my first thought was not so much that "this is a really cool grill/smoker", but rather "these are my kind of people" ... .and after 8 years of comps and fests and hanging out with you guys and the folks here on the forum, my feelings towards so many of these folks (some of whom are my life friends now) are just stronger than ever. . . i can't imagine not going to atlanta in october or waldorf in may ... and it just bums me to no end thinking that wess and sally and probably some other regulars won't be there... .

yep special thing we got going here!!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Thanks Chris, nice post. Its nice to see I'm not the only one rambling with a post about the growth of Eggtoberfest. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You nailed it NB,I hope all the veterans do not get bummed about the FEST becomming SOOO big.They make the FORUM.I hate to say it but I can see where the local fests are gonna take over for the veterans,nature of the BEAST.My first trip to Hotlanta was last year,BEST trip/vacation I ever had,and it was'nt the fest,it was the COOL people!!! B)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hey There Chris,
    Good and to the point and right on. I spend a lot of time reading the forum and it does move very fast at times that it can be hard to keep up with it.

Still it remains the best forum I have been too with so many helpful egger's sharing info not only on egg-en but helping people with O.T. info they need.

Hope things are going well for you and the family. As for me ;):) :laugh: so long as I have my ladies to take pictures of I'm in good shape. :woohoo:

I'll be in Reno Tomorrow and Fri. for Hot August Nights, should be a heap of fun. Maybe I'll post a picture or two when I return.

Cheers & Beers,
    Bordello

Hi to John for me if ya talk with him.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    How many internet forums can you name that make you feel guilty when your busey with your everyday life and don't have time to check in? Sort of like having to much going on and can't visit your Mama! :blush: :laugh: Very well put Chris. My wife will ask whats this rant or that is from time to time when things get off subject and I tell her its just like you and your brother fighting. We are all differant but act more like a big disfunctional family than anything I can descibe it as and I for one wouldn't have it any other way. B)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    You sure nailed it there Chris. I have mentioned to a few people that know i egg about the fest selling out so fast....... blank looks and raised eyebrows. snakes and birds...... diabetic deaths....posters...... boxes of mango's.... hot dog buns to Texas....DP new building....vacations rearranged....jobs lost and gained......huge storms on the weather maps and wonder what egger is there??....a lot of what is on here might not be directly about the egg but it is about a kind of family. from the grumpy uncle to the right down to the kids that are learning to use the egg. and that is cool.I lurk on a few other forums too. joined them but never have posted. i peek in about 1 a month if that. and sometimes find that there has hardly been any posts. I will think well maybe they are all busy or not cooking much. then I get on here and two pages have gone by. Stike posted on the OT forum about who would you like to have a cold one with and sit and visit. I really don't think there is a single person on here I would NOT like to :)
    there are grumbleings about how this forum is set up and how neat the other forums are. I would not trade for a second. If I would I would not be here :unsure:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Chris,

Great post! I am relatively new on the Forum (less than a year), but can feel the sense of family, friendship and support among the members. I feel like it's easy to be accepted, no matter what your background, political slant, geographic location, or profession. Great place. Lots of great information. Where else could I have found out about La Bomba, adjustable rigs, thirdhands, Grate Mates, Carnivore BBQ, and of course, Dizzy Pig??? :woohoo:

My wife thinks I need 12 step Forum Therapy ! :ohmy:

Hi, My name is Clark, I am an Egghead ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Great Post!
    I am relative newbie myself.
    I think that the egg is a great escape for many of us.
    Let's face it, life is stressful. There is alot of craziness going on in our world. For me, the BGE and the forum creates a wonderful diversion from the rest of life. I used to "like" to cook. Now I "need" to cook. The egg gets me outside, away from the television, telephone and the computer. I immerse myself, both figuratively and literally, in food, seasonings, sauces, smoke and fire. I look for opportunities to cook, no matter how many members of the family or friends will come. For me it is therapeutic. It may be an addiction, or a sort of dependency...but I think it's ok. Right?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Chris, When I bought my first egg I had no idea how my world would change. This forum and the community has infiltrated my world in such a wonderful way! I am greatful for this community evryday and of course the thoughts ideas and fabulous food!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Very well put everyone...but this says it best for me:

How many internet forums can you name that make you feel guilty when you are busy with your everyday life and don't have time to check in? Sort of like having to much going on and can't visit your Mama!

Thanks JL as that about sums up this forum. :P ;):) :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You haven't been saying much on the Forum lately but when you do you say it well.

Back when you had a lot more time to spend here you managed to accumulate over 8,000 posts. Your advice and comments were very much appreciated. Along the way you also made many friends. I'm proud to say I'm one of them.

I hope our paths will cross many times in the future.

Spring "Always A Little Bit'a Dizzy In Me" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    I agree with all of you also. Being a BGE owner is one thing. But participating in this forum, watching, discussing and learning sure makes your Eggsperience more enjoyable. It makes you a better cook for sure! The eggheads you hang out with here are fun to converse with. It helps you gain a quick return on your investment of the BGE. Correction: It costs you more because you find out you need more than one. For me, the forum motivates me. It entertains me. We are all from different walks of life. Some of us are high ranking executives, doctor's, lawyers, shift workers, students, (or unemployed) etc.. What is really cool is that it really doesn't matter what your station in life is, Here...we become one. Equals. We are all Eggheads! And we are better persons because of it! (Somebody needs to tell GM or Chrysler how the BGE Mothership created such a following. It might help them get out of their mess.)
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    As one of the newbies :woohoo: I've been really impressed with this forum! You have all been really gracious and helpful. The information that everybody has shared has made both my purchase of the egg, and all of the other parts, and my ability to use the egg well right out of the box a breeze. I visit a number of different forums for various interests, and this one is by far the best community!
  • Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Options
    Great post, Chris. You captured it. Without this forum I would have never bought my egg, and never have had Kenny sending me my first box of Dizzy Pig goodies.

When reading this forum I was taken back a bit because of the in depth instructions and pictures for meals. You people share! We all try to help each other make better meals.

When I heard, "the BGE will change your life" I thought, riiiiight. It's a cooking device, people. No, it's much more than that--it's a lifestyle, a brother/sisterhood. I have had people here seem more concerned for my success than people I work with, or go to church with.

Thanks, guys, for making this forum what it is. Cook on!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i've had people complain about the length of my posts.

when i answer a question (especially a newbie), i like to give as complete and thorough an answer as i can.

for me, there's always the obvious "question" someone is asking, and then the other unspoken questions behind it or the natural follow-ups that arise from it. better to have a wider understanding of what's happening and WHY i gave an answer, rather than just blurt out an answer.

to me, when someone asks "is it ok to eat my pork butt if the fire went out?" (for ex.) the easy answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't do anyone any favors.

that's just me. "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish". that sorta thing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Well said. I couldn't agree more, as I find myself wanting to catch up on this forum constantly while trying to avoid most others. I think it is the warm feeling I get from all the others posting here, with their good intentions and great information. Feels like good folks enjoying each other, like a great family reunion without the fights!

I am a major lurker, a minor contributor, and getting better at cooking because of what I learn here.

Plus, the occasional catfight is kinda fun.

Thanks to all. Wish I were closer to Atlanta so I could attend the Fest. Maybe I'll catch the next one near me, missed it last year. - Scott
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    All I could say to GM or Chrysler about the BGE following...I think it's magic ;-)

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I sure wasn't complaining! You are the perfect example of an excellent cook taking time out of your day to help others. And, of course, some of that unique and effective Stike humor. Still can't believe we ain't shook hands yet.

Cheers bro!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You must be a Taurus.

I'm one and I try to write with enough detail to answer both the 'asked' question and the 'unasked' questions while trying to achieve my quest to make the answer as long as possible LOL...

Spring "Why Use Ten Words When A Thousand Will Do" Chicken
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Leroy. Not only has this place brought me you, the Hen, and many other good friends, it literally created my new career. Wish I had more time to post, but yall are doin' a fine job!

You seem to be up and traveling a fair amount, so if'n yall find yourselves near DC, you're always welcome at the nature ranch.

Cheers! Gotta get ready to cook lunch for the hard-working folks here. Gonna do prime rib sammiches with Grandma Utz tater chips (you know, the ones cooked in lard :-) Grilled pineapple fer dessert!

Cheers, and howdy to the Hen!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    And you provided the magic dust for it. :laugh: :laugh: Smiles to you Chris.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Good point about the disagreements. It's kinda like a fight with a family member....but I think it is more because of the limitations of communicating with the typed message. We can't see each others' faces, nor can we hear the tone of their voice. It's super easy to misunderstand what someone is saying.

In any case, that's pretty normal on any forum.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Things are good Bob. Thanks!
    Be careful out there in Reno now!!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    Options
    "excellent cook"
    gah!

i'm farfrom excellent. but the BGE and the forum have taken me from where i was to a point where i'm no longer intimidated. i'll try anything .

i'm no chef... i'd say i fly by the seat of my pants most times. RTD, fishless, the award-winning Q crews (that'd be you, among others), ah... who else? zippylip of course, charleston dave, donmarco, Pwise....too many to mention. THEY are the excellent cooks around here. essexco and his wife are another pair. they fly under the radar. they are original, and they work as a team to perfect things. they have some fun.

to me, the best "cooks" ("chefs", etc.) are able to invent something. i follow directions the first time, then try to play with things after that.

but thank you for the kind words.

as for shaking hands, i'm going to go to the eggtoberfest website and see if there are any openings left. i heard there was still plenty of room! hahaha
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Adam. Mindboggling in a crazy way?? ;-)

We gots PH whenever you need it. Gonna shake some on some pineapple shortly!

Have a good un!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    Options
    thanks... sometimes i fear guys like you that have been around here much longer than i will be thinking "sheesh, yet again about the smoke ring... shaddap, stike"

hahaha

as for zodiac symbols. i've been told i'm an ass
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Nice bit of modesty there bro. I know you can cook like a mofo!
    Speaking of cooking, gotta go fire up the egg.
    Latah!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Chris,
    Nice ramblings. Sounds like Eggtoberfest enthusiasm is at an all time high. wish we could make this year, but work, and high school, and soccer, and field hockey have all conspired against. Ahhhh, life.