Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Condensation Issue in MBGE

Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to put this out on forum to see if anyone else has run into this or knows what's causing it.
The last couple times I have gone to fire up my medium egg, I open the top to get daisy wheel out of egg and it has moisture standing on it, little puddles. I store my daisy wheel in egg to help keep it clean. I cleaned out the ash last night and it wasn't dusty like when I clean my large out, it is almost like it is damp, heavier than normal ash. I started looking all over egg to see where moisture could be coming in at and nothing. The only thing I notices was some tiny pinhole sized holes on the outside of dome. Like where the green glaze wasn't exactly solid. Anyone else have this issue? It isn't under a shelter, out in the open, has been through some rain lately, but now is under grill cover.

Comments

• I've had of the same issues with my Large. I don't consider it a big problem. Usually get it after heavy rains or when humidity is high. The only thing I've noticed is that it can take a bit longer to heat up a cook because remaining lump has obviously gotten moisture on it as well. A combination of the moisture and a dirty DW can also cause it to seize up. Still, no big deal. A wack on it to free it up and I carry on.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    The reason that it takes a little longer to heat up an egg when the egg has moisture in it from rain or humidity is that some of the heat energy that could be heating the egg is used to turn any water present into vapor (steam).
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    I have the same thing happen with both my MBGE and my Primo Oval. I don't think it's from rain getting in - it's from atmospheric moisture condensing inside the grills.

Mine are in the sunlight all day long and the ceramic gets quite hot. That seems to cause moisture to condense on the cast iron parts.

On the BGE I store the cast iron daisy wheel inside - like you do, and I keep the ceramic top on when it's not in use. I open the lid, even when there hasn't been any rain since I last used the grill, and the daisy wheel has beads of water on it.

On the Primo the cast iron cap is the only cap it comes with. I cover it with a stainless steel pan to keep the rain out but water still condenses on the inside of the cast iron cap and runs down the inside of the dome.

T'is the nature of the beast...the air inside the grill is heated as the grill is heated by the sun and so it can absorb even more water than the air outside the grill. Unlike the porous ceramic and charcoal inside the grill, the cast iron does not absorb the water that condenses when the temperature inside the grill drops as the sun sets - so it beads on it. If anything, I'd think keeping the grill under a waterproof cover would tend to make the situation even more pronounced because that would limit even the small amount of "breathing" that the grill can do.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Makes sense to me, thanks for the explanation. It is out in the direct sunlight most of the day. Wonder why it does it on my medium but have never noticed this on my large? Crazier things can happen!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    my hunch is it's rain moisture and/or vapor condensation in the mornings. if you have dew on the grass, then you could have condensation in/on the egg. if no dew, then probably no egg condensation. Going back to my college days studying meteorology, it's a long wave, short wave, dust/object, ambient temperature, dew point temperature, relative humidity kinda thing......but then there is a 25% - 30% chance I'm wrong.....mostly made C's on my tests.....that and I have the perfect face to be a radio weatherman......LOL. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.