Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with dutch oven cobbler?

Options
Dixie Dream
Dixie Dream Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All

Going to make my first dutch oven cobbler and am wondering if you cook that covered or uncovered.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    DD...Uncovered. I would also advise indirect. Good luck! Post pics!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hey LC, how goes it?

I've done it with the cover on, but that was pre-egg and in a camp fire type setting, with coals on the lid.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi DD, I do mine indirect and when you put the biscuit dough on the top, keep it away from the edge of the pot if you can. this lets the fruit juice bubble around the edges and the biscuit will not burn as easily to the edge of the pot. make sure you fire is burning clean. smoke is not as tasty in a sweet as it is in a savory and that you are up to temp good and solid. it will drop when you put in the cold pot with all that cold or room temp mass. do not touch the daisy or draft door. give it time to come back up by itself. it will :). I do the first 15 minutes with the cover on then take it off to brown a little. this will keep them light and fluffy and cook through faster with out being dry. I love these and do them a lot when we are camping. Julie
  • eggineric
    Options
    I usually use a cake mix, instead of dough. Adds a little sweetness and lets it crumble.

Eric
  • I make the cake mix type as well, and keep lid on for first half of the cook then remove it.
  • Dixie Dream
    Options
    Thanks to everybody for your help.

Everything turned out pretty good in first rib cook, with great vegetables salad and cobbler.

Ribs done pretty much using Car Wash Mikes method, vegetables on a holed wok with a lot of dizzy dust and cobbler indirect and uncovered.

Couldn't ask for more everybody seemed to enjoy a lot.

Thanks again for the help.

Sorry haven't figured out how to include pics yet. have signed up for photobucket though.