Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gasket bites the dust

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son cooked on Tuesday night and came in and said both gaskets were coming off in the back of the egg. I have my egg 11 months and this is the second gasket that failed. I called cutomer service in Atlanta and talked to Bruce. Told him my sad story, he took my info, and told me he would send out a nomex gasket. Good customer service, but the old question on the forum - Why not put the nomex gaskets on at assembly?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    they are now but you bought yours during the change over sorry for your timeing luck.. but the nomex is a really good gasket ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    PA Dutch Egger wrote:
    Why not put the nomex gaskets on at assembly?

With respect, this is a question for BGE?

No one on the forum, not directly associated with BGE is going to be able to answer this question.

All that will come from the forum is complaining and defending.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

tb, this is the first I have heard of the new eggs having Nomex pre-installed.

Are the new egg actually being shipped with Nomex installed?

Kent
  • BENTE
    Options
    from what i read they were supposed to after the stock runs out of the felt one's i am figuring that they may have some nomex one's in atlanta i have not been told that but it is a really good guess that they will... if not now then eventually they will proabably have to do that.. i mean it has to kill them in shipping $$$

and they are not stupid they did not go out of their way to test the nomex and then decide to stay with the felt ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    Boy id be shocked if they do that. MORE LABOR to glue one on at the factory than to just use the self adhesive tape ones. And if they arent pre-shrinkin them you will still get gaps.

I got 8 new larges in 2 weeks ago all are felt yet.

Guess I will ask our distributor about this next week.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    >Why not put the nomex gaskets on at assembly?

They have to use up the 57,384 they have in stock first. :blush:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not arguing, I think it would be a great idea and it sounds like a logical thing to do.

A while back, there was a post that BGE was going to ship eggs with felt and an upgrade price to get Nomex. So for nothing has come about regarding that post.

I was just surprised when seeing your post (and hoping for the best).

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Were the eggs shipped with extra gasket sets?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    >

They have to use up the 57,384 they have in stock first. :blush:

That's a lot of eggs.

GG
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i am just being logical there would be no reason not to especially with the price increase this past january.. i have not been told so proabably talking out my a$$ but it seems like the right thing to do

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea why would they ship them with the extra gasket and not just go ahead and go it at the factory :S

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

In the past several dealers have posted the eggs coming from the factory or distributors with a replacement gasket set in the egg.

If that is still going on then I would surmise there are still bad adhesive sets still in the distribution chain.

Hence my question?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"it seems like the right thing to do"

I agree! I also would think the shipping with Nomex would be well woth all the gasket talk the competitors may have used to bolster their sales.

GG
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

"it seems like the right thing to do"

I agree! I also would think the shipping with Nomex would be well woth all the gasket talk the competitors may have used to bolster their sales.

GG

I got my MBGE in mid June and it came with an extra gasket. That fried also. So I called the mothership and they sent me a nomex gasket. Put that on last weekend.
  • ranger67
    Options
    Well, I think I may have a new point of view on the gasket issue. I was hoping to get everyone's feedback.

I've replaced my gasket twice on an XL. The first replacement was with another felt and the second was with the Nomex. In addition I had another problem occurring at the same time. When grilling at high temps for long periods of time, my lid would bind and stop closing. After a lot of testing, I found that a big portion of the problem was due to how tight the bands were bolted on to the egg. When I first put them on, I didn't want to over-tighten and crack the egg. Therefore, I tightened them to what I believed was good. It held the lid quite well and didn't shift at all. However, when the bands got hot enough, the tension changed and caused the hinges to bind as the bands seemed to cause tension in opposing directions. While testing this out, I noticed that even during short but hot grills (400+), the bands tensed and quite often the lid would lift by 1/32 to an 1/16 of an inch towards the back of the egg while still allowing the front to close. Quite often it was so little that it was almost impossible to see, but if the dollar bill test was performed right then, it would slip right out, but when cold it held the bill tight in the same area. I then really torqued the band bolts down in the rear. Since then, I've noticed that not only does the lid not bind and sit better, but I haven't had another gasket problem. The problem is that I now have the nomex on there, and not the felt. So, I can't confirm whether the resolution is due to the new gasket/adhesive, or the change to the bands. I can confirm that the dollar bill/paper test is now consistent whether hot or cold.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Good deal,now that the gasket is outta the way you can settle down and cook.If you do not replace it ,you will never have to worry about a gasket again! ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hoss....The Anti-Gasket :woohoo:

I have gone with the nomex on the bases only. Freeky high temps with no issues for me.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Count me as another gasket-eschewer. I consider it akin to getting one's appendix replaced.