Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 week in

cahuck
cahuck Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I'd seen and heard of the Egg earlier, but never remotely thought about owning one.

Then June 13 had a terrific review here - http://steamykitchen.com/4034-dr-bbqs-baby-back-ribs.html and I was really attracted.

I spent the next 5 weeks or so surfing everything I could find (mostly here and BBQ Brethren,) visited a local dealer in north San Diego, he tried to switch me to a Traeger. Researched the heck out of that. Wife ordered Charcouterie and he likes the Bradley. Researched THAT like crazy too! Then the local dealer called to tell me about the Sams' Club special and they'd match it, did I want one? I diddled around two days and it was sold with no more stock there! Next shipment two more weeks! It was rough waiting and I ALMOST got the pellet pusher. Sams' deal went away but he still said he'd do the deal! Finally picked up my lage Egg last Thursday and my wife eagerly helped put together the cradle, rings etc...

Totally cautious inaugural dinner to check out the useage - pork "brisket grillers" from Costco seared then set low to finish. Worked just as I read in all forums for weeks - perfect. Temp seemed set and steady so on with a sourdough boule I had planned to do in the oven - perfect again! Next night flank steak - perfect! Then Altons' cedar planked trout - perfect again! Not bad for a first week. I love it!

Ordered adjustable rack and toys from ceramicgrillstore.com that I heard about here. Eager to go indirect next and work pizza, butt and brisket, even without a Stoker or Guru.

Thanks to everyone here for contributing to the education. And thanks to Dr. BBQ for getting Jaden excited enough to glow about it and get my researching started. Without her I wouldn't be an Egghead!

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Welcome!

Feel free to post a pic or 2 of your cooks.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Ya done good, Cahuck.

There was a point at which I was absolutely convinced I needed a Guru or Stoker, but didn't want to shell out the money for one at the time. Since then, I've done a couple of mega-cooks of 40+ pounds of butt for large events, large rib cooks, etc. and I can say a unit would have made it a tad easier, but still not enough to warrant the expenditure. The Egg makes it that easy.

It only gets better, amigo. Welcome to the cult....ummmmmm...
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Welcome to the feeding frenzy! You will have many good lo and slo cooks without the dodads.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Welcome!! Great first post. Got pics? We love 'em.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Congrats on the new EGG. Every cook will be a new EGGSPERIENCE and you will learn about the EGG as well. I can relate to getting all the EGGCESSORIES. It seems like it is never ending. Don't forget the RUBS as well.

Enjoy.

GAry
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Glad to hear that eveything is going great.I'm in South Orange County (Rancho Santa Margarita)I have been eggin for 2years and love all the food,Eggfest in Upland-Sept 19 try to make it.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Welcome to the group...I read her blog all the time and love it...hopefully she will come to Eggtoberfest...
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    You will see this is CRAZY. You will start wanting this, and this and this. And it wont stop. Then here comes the second egg and it starts over. Have fun.