Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chocolatey Banana Peach Bread

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a couple of over-ripe bananas and thought I'd make some Egged banana bread.

Mash the 'nanas up with a fork:

IMG_0606.jpg

Hmm, a couple of peaches on the shelf, too--why not grill and dice?

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

Rum goes with bananas, right?
And espresso?
And chocolate chips?

IMG_0609.jpg

Add AP flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla, etc. etc. Batter in the loaf pan before baking looks like this:

IMG_0610.jpg

An hour over applewood at 350ºF dome indirect, rotated 180º halfway thru:

IMG_0614.jpg

Moist and tasty with a dollop of whipped cream:

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dave... :laugh: ...As always, your creativity amazes me! I love your ideas, and execution!! Your pics are always flawless. Great job! ;) You never told us how you liked it though.....did you try it? Thanks for your post! ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Darn that looks good! I pray that in my next life am half that creative and own an egg. :woohoo:

Gator

• Charleston Dave
    Options
    Thanks, LC! I was using a traditional banana bread recipe as a start and as usual got carried away :blush: ... I had only 2 bananas, so added the peaches and other ingredients. But, sometimes too much, is, well, too much. Might have been better simpler, with fewer flavors, not bananas AND peaches AND rum AND espresso AND chocolate chips...

Bottom line, there wasn't as intense a banana flavor as I'm used to, perhaps because the bananas were so finely mashed, more of a banana aroma and not a banana flavor. The bread was very moist, wonderful with a dollop of whipped cream, definitely worthy of another try. The hot, soft chocolate chips were delightful. It was like a cross between banana bread and a chocolate chip cookie, with a tiny wisp of apple smoke.

I'm thinking I might play with this a little more and do it for Eggtoberfest. Maybe a chocolate daiquiri bread? Got to check the fit, but I could probably do 4 loaves at a time with an extender rack to feed the crowd.

Maybe a nice buttermilk chocolate sauce to finish?

Or a lemon glaze, to carry through the deconstructed daiquiri concept?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dave....Been there, and done that! :blush: Dial it in a bit, and I am sure you will have a winner!!! ;) I love your creativity, as always. But as you said in different words...there is a lot to be said for more simple foods. Sometimes, we just get carried away!! I TOTALLY understand! :whistle:
    Always love to see your posts. Great job, as you always do! Looking forward to seeing you in ATL!
  • ~*BlueStarMom*~
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed and inspired! I may run with your idea and give it a try. As much as I love grilled peaches I think I’ll leave that out and go with a simple glaze to finish off the loaf.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Be sure to post pictures and let us know how it turns out, Blue Star Mom! I was wondering about a glaze as well, maybe something with citrus and confectioner's sugar.

I used the peaches mainly because I had only two bananas and there were a couple of peaches on the counter. Definitely not a requirement for the recipe.

If you wanted, nectarines or pineapple chunks (well-drained) might be options.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    How that go with the rum? A little for the cook, a little in the batter, a little for the cook . . .

:laugh: :whistle: :ermm:

Might be a good excuse to have some banana liquior on hand in case of emergencies. :silly:

Good looking bread.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I prefer to think of it as a quality check, Loco.

I wouldn't want to put spoiled rum in the bread, right? :lol:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Absolutely! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap