Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paranoia Will Destroy Ya...HELP!...It's Out There!

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 3.5 lb. "center cut pork loin roast." They've been on sale for a a week and a half and I finally succumbed tonight on the way homw from work. It's on the egg as I speak...been doing "moderately" low 'n slow (275F dome for a little over 2 hours now).[p]Suggested instructions on package said to cook to 170F, but I'm wondering what would happen if I go the more traditional butt route of waiting until 200F. [p]Will I see the fabeled dwell between 160 and 190? Are there even the "connective tissues" in this type of cut to break down? This whole thing was an experiment, but I just haven't decided how to end it...i.e., wait until 200F assuming connective things break down...or pull it off at 170 like you might do with leaner roasts?[p]I'm at 162 right now...Votes Please?

Comments

• wdan
    Options
    WDAN,
    Forgot to mention: I've never seen this cut before. It came in a Cryvac package, has a hefty fat cap on it, and its shape and fat cap make it look very reminicient of a corned beef brisket.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WDAN,
    I thought a center cut pork loin roast was just that, a loin roast. The meat may have a fat cap, but the meat itself is lean. If so, you should be roasting this to an internal temp more along the lines of roasts, not trying to break down non-existant collagen etc. Roasting that puppy to 190-200 may result in a big hard dry lump. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    TNW is correct, Dan. You want to cook this baby like a roast, not low and slow. 350° indirect to an internal temp of 145-150° for medium rare. It will be nice and juicy, slightly pink in the middle and the ends will be more well done.[p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    TNW and Jim have filled you in. You should still be okay cooking lower, but you don't want to take your internal temp much past 150 with that lean tender roast you have!![p]Did you pull at 162?? How was it??
    Beers to you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • wdan
    Options
    WDAN,
    Thanks, folks. This followup message is toconfirm that you were all correct. Thankfully, I pulled the meat at 170. Yep, even though there was an impressive fat cap it basically didn't do squat re: meat moisture. After letting the "lump" rest for about 20 minutes, I sliced it as thin as possible by hand...approx 1/16" eh! We're talking nearly corn cob dryness here. But hey, we're also conducting an experiment, right? [p]Major Conclusion: Center cut pork loin roast ain't no butt.[p]Even though there is a fat cap, it is a very lean cut of meat and must have been cooked for aristocrats...the peasants would have killed it on their spits.[p]Last phase before I throw the whole thing out: I whipped up a roux and made a sauce using vegetable stock. I threw in a bunch of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey sauce stuff. The dead pig is now resting in peace in that embalming fluid...Last chance will be tomorrow around dinner time...but I will have a lot of alternatives on hand. Ooh la wee, I've got 2 butts in the freezer I am dying to make...but my constituents are lobbying for things to be cooked indoors for a while. I didn't do much to further my campagn for more smoked stuff, although my 9-yr old hung out at the "pit" with me for quite awhile tonight...she's been a great culinary student and now appears to be learning at least the social skills required of a pitmaster![p]Somewhere along the way you realize you're not going to be the CEO, and you start to understand what is truly important to you. If I can't do it, what about my kids? Let me think about this for a minute...CEO or Pitmaster?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    WDAN,[p]Pitmaster.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    WDAN,
    Pitmaster, no question about it.

• BridgeMan
    Options
    WDAN,
    Isn't this the piece that can be cut into slabs for pork chops?
    I would sear it and then roast at a very low heat until medium rare.
    Bridgeman

• wdan
    Options
    Bridgeman,
    Yes, that's exactly what it turned out to be. I was faked out at first because it was packaged in Cryovac and had something of a fat cap on it ...something my local store doesn't usually do with this kind of cut. Bottom line, I didn't recognize what I had until it was mighty close to being too late! [p]The previous posts were spot-on. I should've pulled it at 150-ish. Whwn I got it of at 170, it was already pretty dry.[p]The overnight "soak" in the bbq sauce gravy I made turned out to be a lifesaver...made excellent hot sandwiches...the family raved...go figure (this egg; even when you screw something up; it still comes out good).