Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Tonight

Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a Spatchcock Chicken tonight and it was as good as the first one I cooked a few weeks ago.

Here is a picture of it right before it came off the BGE

DSC06177.jpg
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Gorgeous! That is one of my very favorites off the BGE...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice color! Looks like mine!! Great job.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Nice looking bird, Barry! One of my favorties on the Egg! Happy Eggin!! :laugh:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Looks dang good from here in KS and without a clue of what's for supper :( Going to have any leftovers? :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    never get skin to look that good and crisp. Any pointers?
    gp
  • Shiff
    There are some leftovers from the chicken, but they're planned for lunch tomorrow. Sorry.

I am constantly amazed at what a great cooking method this is.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Some people have said to leave it uncovered in the refrigerator for 12 hours. I didn;t do that due to the time. My first one didn't sit at all in the fridge, but this one had about 4 hours. I think the skin tasted better on this (more crispy) one than my first one, but they both looked just as brown.

Next time I hope to get it ready earlier so it can sit longer in the fridge.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • AlvinSr
    AlvinSr Posts: 15
    Hate to ask,(I did a search, no luck) is there a recipe
    for spatchcock chicken? tia
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Alvin: Your BGE manual should have a recipe for "Simon and Garfunkel chicken." Same thing. Have never understood why this forum has always called it "Spatchcock" when the the official manual says something different. Who knows? Anway, welcome to the forum and the cult!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • AlvinSr
    AlvinSr Posts: 15
    Oh...ok thanks :ohmy:
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 12
    I am a new egger. So how long did you cook that chicken and at what temp? Did you use smoking chips? My chips burn up as soon as I put them on. :)
  • Shiff
    I cooked it at 350 direct for about 1 hour and used a thermapen to check the temperature. I don't use chips since they tend to burn quickly when the lid is open. I only use chunks - tonight I used hickory and only a few pieces since chicken seems to absorb smoke quickly.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Did you check the recipe section right here on the forum? Checkout page 2 of the poultry section for one called "Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken "

You can see the same recipe with pictures at
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

If you want to know about the definition of spatchcock, check this URL
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mistick2
    Mistick2 Posts: 15
    :) I'm Lori from Leola, PA....& that looks like a mighty good chicken! I'm glad there is another egger in Lancaster County!
  • Shiff
    There are at least 2 others and probably more.

I had my BGE table made by Meadow Creek in New Holland not too far from you.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA