Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brine for turkey breasts

Options
greggsegg
greggsegg Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me a good brine recipe for turkey breast. Thawed ready for cooking in AM

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GREGGSEGG,
    This brine (link below) is really good with turkey.
    Have fun
    Chris

[ul][li]Brant's Brine[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    GREGGSEGG,
    here's another good one posted by JSlot long ago. You can probably cut the amounts in half for just a breast. The flavor is really good and it produces a super moist bird but I would shorten the brine time for a breast as it is smaller.
    later,
    ChefRD.[p]Posted by JSlot on November 20, 2001 at 22:29:48:[p]In Reply to: Best Brine Recipe posted by Char Dawg on November 20, 2001 at 09:41:42:[p]Char Dawg,[p]Here's one a lot of Eggers use:[p]"It Came From the Brine"[p]
    1 Turkey
    2 cups kosher salt
    2 T dried rosemary
    2 T dried thyme
    2 T dried sage
    1 T dried marjoram
    1 T celery seeds
    1 T black peppercorns
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 medium carrot chopped
    1 rib celery chopped[p]For the brine container, I use my turkey frying pot lined with 2 plastic garbage bags (the aluminum will react with the salt).[p]Place 2 gallons of cold water in your brine container. Add all ingredients down to the peppercorns and stir to dissolve salt and herbs as much as possible. Place turkey in brine and add water to completely cover if needed. Cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours. You can probably regulate the saltiness by adjusting the brine time for your taste after you have done one or two. Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse well under cold water, and then pat dry inside and out before cooking. Place an onion, a carrot, and a stalk of celery in the turkey cavity and cook at your normal time and temps.[p][p]

• greggsegg
    Options
    ChefRD,
    thanx for the late nite briners, i will give these a try!

• Nature Boy,
    thanx for the late nite briners i will give these a try!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You are exactly right, ChefRD. I did my first turkey breast last week using half of the recipe and brined for 18 hours. It was really good.[p]Jim

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    JSlot,
    thanks for the confirmation Jim. And thank you for sharing the recipe with us. Theres lots of good brines around, but this is still my personal favorite for birds.
    Have a great Eggfest and I'm 'green' with envy. :)
    (maybe next year?)
    Thanks again,
    Ron.