Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt thawing in the fridge...

Options
smokeypete
smokeypete Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
to be cooked this weekend, my first one. i wanted to cook it a couple weeks ago, but ran out of time so i had to freeze it. weighs five and a half pounds. an hour and a half a pound at 250? then a rest of an hour in the cooler... sound good? if there are any glaring mistakes let me know please. MY butt will be slow cooked if it doesn't come out!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    smokeypete,
    Sounds about right, I try to keep the temp a bit lower. 225-235 range!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I wouldn't rely so much on time, Pete, but that's a fair guideline. It is much better to go by temp (~200° internal). It's done when it's done and you'll find the time varies from butt to butt. No matter. It will keep for hours wrapped up and placed in a warm cooler.[p]Jim
  • Is it just me or does it take me considerably less time in the egg than the WSM? Since I sold our medium egg to my brother-in-law, it's been a bit of a transition getting back to smoking again on the WSM. Also the weather change hasn't helped either. Haven't gotten around to bringing home the new large egg yet. CAN'T WAIT!
  • smokeypete
    Options
    Smokey, k then... 225-235 it is... i have a polder, heven't used it before either. it will be an education if nothing else. thanks

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokeypete,
    a friend of mine and I both find that at 220 dome temp, we need to allow TWO and a half hours per pound.[p]sure, i could crank the temp up, but if it will hold it at 220 rock solid, why rush things.[p]i think an hour and a half is too optimistic.[p]check the naked whiz's site, re: elder ward's method. i don't recall what they allow for.[p]i also do not "go by time" but rather pull it off at 200 internal. ...but i DO need to figure how long it'll take, so as to start at thre right time. i imagine that's why you are asking too.[p]stike

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bigsmoke
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]I've found that about two hours per pound @ 225* (you'll hear various times), indirect, with a plate setter inverted on the fire ring, works best. I use the V-rack over a drip pan of water, but regardless of all of that, the MAIN objective is to get the internal to around 185-195*, then wrap in HD foil for about an hour. DO NOT remove from foil until internal is AT LEAST 200*. The best butt I've ever had was actually pulled at around 205* (and she was not bad looking!). BBQ is much more tender and tasty in the 200-210 range. Don't worry, it's almost impossible to screw anything up on the BGE. Just remember low n' slow 'till internal says go![p]Good Luck!!!

• smokeypete
    Options
    Bigsmoke, thanks... my confidence is soaring. i'll let all of you coaches how it goes. making ABTs (for the first time) as well. it's all on the line!