Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather egging

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well here in the Colorado front range the daytime and evening temps are really starting to cool off. Since this will be my first fall and winter egging, I'm wondering if the outside temp affects the ability to keep the egg up to temp. Or other effects? Besides making me the cook shiver me timbers.[p]Chuck

Comments

• chuckls,
    sounds like you need a BGE Chiminea.

• toomanybbqgrls
    Options
    chuckls, I am in St. Louis and have cooked to temps as low as 15 degrees with a wind chill well below zero. If by chance your top gets stuck, place a fire starter cube inside the ash door and light. In no time at all, it will thaw. Some have said they place foil or wax paper between the top and bottom gaskets. Moisture in the gasket freezes the lid shut. It is best not to try prying it open. Use the cube. You could propably use a mapp torch to go through the ash door (vent) and light the lump that way also. Hope this helps. Cheers.

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    chuckls,
    I have cooked with mine over the past two winters in Ohio. The great thing about the Egg is it doesn't matter the temperature, weather conditions or anything. It keeps its temp and chugs along. Don't worry about and enjoy the cooking.

• I used mine during the big snow storm out here in Maryland -- we had over 2 feet of snow -- with absolutely no problems. Just wrap yourself up well and enjoy egging!
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    chuckls,[p]I'm just up the road from ya and had no problems this last winter, my first with the egg. I can't remember any appreciable differences between cold weather and mild or moderate weather. There surely are some, I would imagine, but nothing that really caught my attention. Besides, we get 70s in January fairly frequently, just don't tell anyone.
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    chuckls,[p]What is "cold weather"? How long do you cook it? Brined / rubbed ??[p]giggle.[p]LVM (born and raised in Iowa and why I have not retuned!)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    LasVegasMac,okay okay - just where in Iowa? I myself was born in Washington, IA and lived there until the ripe old age of 10! Then Muscatine became a summer haunt for years clear up thru and including a stop over on my honeymoon some 38 years ago.
    As for cold weather cooking - I pride myself like other eggers - of bragging "it was so cold that I..." get the drift?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.