Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger ??

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought two packages, each with four hangers, from RD today and thanks to Fidel's pictorial (and a sharp knife) I trimmed them and removed the "skivvies waistband" and vacuum sealed all but one.

Can't wait to try them as they look really good.

When searching for the pictorial I found Florida Grilling Girl's hanger she did. It wasn't separated and assume she didn't remove the tendon.

Just wondering if cooking it without removing the tendon is the better way to go? Knowing it's there you could avoid it when slicing and save some time when trimming. Is it tender enough to just 'pull' the meat away from that nasty piece of tendon?

--Dave

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You don't have to remove it before cooking, you can do it after, but it isn't just going to pull out. You will still have to cut the edible pieces away from that tendon.

Since usually the two pieces are not the same size, one sill cook much faster than the other.

Also, my favorite way to cook them now is to butterfly them and pound them to a uniform thickness and then flash sear just a minute or so per side.... thanks again Max.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you can certainly grill it as a whole steak with no problem . . . .and then slice it in long thin slices parallel to that 'skivies band'. ... i do them that way all the time ...slicing it that way, you will be taking slices against the grain and they will be nice and tender. ... you can marinade the whole steak if you want to (some soy sauce and shallots is excellent), or you can simply season with salt and pepper or something like dizzy cowlick or raising the steak. .. here are a couple of pics of whole hanger steaks done this way ...

summer2008046.jpg

summer2008049.jpg

summer2008054.jpg
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL ... any time rod ... you back from vacation? .. . you guys have a good time?
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Going to have to call the meat locker in NE that could get me tri-tips and am curious of what to kinda expect.

Thanks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i hear the guys that have the passes to RD are getting them as low as around 3 bucks a pound there in the atlanta area....up here in washington DC, i pay around 6.99 a pound down at union meats at the old eastern market (a custom butcher). ..i've also seen them here at some whole foods where they are very heavily trimmed for upwards of 8.99 per pound. ...so they run the gamut. ...
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks Max.

The locker plant in NE charged me $4.59 for the trip which I thought was a dam fair price, but had no idea of what to expect. Plus he asked me how many I wanted
    so if that is case with a hanger I guess I could just get what the buget (cough cough) allows.

Well see, hopefully it won't be a problem. Looking forward to trying.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Got back last night -- best vacation of my life, bar none.

Did absolutely nothing and enjoyed every minute of it. Back to the grind tomorrow.

Thanks for asking.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome wrote:
    i hear the guys that have the passes to RD are getting them as low as around 3 bucks a pound there in the atlanta area....up here in washington DC, i pay around 6.99 a pound down at union meats at the old eastern market (a custom butcher). ..i've also seen them here at some whole foods where they are very heavily trimmed for upwards of 8.99 per pound. ...so they run the gamut. ...

$2.32 a pound at RD today. Max you will have email soon.

--Dave
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fyi, hangers usually run around 1.5 - 2 pounds per steak . . .so i usually pay anywhere from 10 - 14 bucks per steak down at eastern market. ..but there is almost no waste (except for that scivies strap but that weighs almost nothing), and the ones i buy have all the surrounding fat already trimmed, so mine are 99.9% ready to eat... . so they are pretty good value at that price compared to other steaks. ..and for the flavor, they are well worth it. ...
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    man, at that price, i'd be buying them by the case load!!. ..i've seen the ones you get from RD and while you need to trim that surrrounding fat cap off of them, its not hard at all. ...i helped bente trim some of the RD hangers up a couple of years ago...easy peasy...and you can't beat that price!!!. ..enjoy!!
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    These were just a little over 9# in each package.

I froze the trimmings to put into the trash. I'll have to weigh them out and see what the percentage of waste is. It's higher than I thought.

--Dave
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Max!

Nice pics.