Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing pizza dough?

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook a few pizzas this week so that I can experiment with different cheeses. I'm using SL hi gluten flour for the dough. I want to make a few batches of dough(over night rise), make one pizza that night and store the other dough balls for cooking the next night,etc. Can I freeze the dough balls after the appropriate rise time or do I have to make fresh dough each night?
Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You'll be happier if you freeze it before the rise. Thaw it with plenty of rise time.

It won't be quite as good as never frozen dough, but the difference is textural, flavor isn't really affected.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've not frozen my own dough (although have used lots of commercial frozen dough.) I have refrigerated fresh dough, and used it the next day. Its been better than the fresh made as far as flavor goes. Also, maybe a bit more pliable.

My suggestion is to not freeze, but make dough every 2 days and just refrigerate 1/2 for the next day.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I use AP flour in mine :ermm: and freeze it all the time. I do it before the rise like noted and the flavor is fine it is just a slight diff in the texture. I do about 20 balls at a time and that lasts us about a month, month 1/2. it rises as it thaws. and a sink of cold water will thaw it quick if you need it. I fix the dough and then have cookie sheets in the freezer with parchment on them. as I form the balls they go right in to freeze, then in to a vac bag and is vac and sealed already frozen. works great. take out of bag rub with evo and thaw covered.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't just do a bulk rise of the whole batch, then scale your portions and leave the portioned dough in the fridge. As long as you're going to use them all up within 5 or so days. In fact, up to a point, the longer they stay in the fridge, the more flavor they'll develop.

Take one out a couple of hours before you plan to use it and let it warm up a bit and start to rise again.
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    Options
    This is the technique I use. I make dough using the Reinhart recipe and divide it after the first fermentation. Portion out dough into balls -- onto a cold sheet pan -- into the freezer. When frozen, I put them into vacuum bags and keep in the freezer. I thaw them in an oil sprayed bowl in the refrigerator the day they are needed and let them rise just before use (2 hours or so). Works well.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Suggested rise time? My recipe has it as a 24 hour rise in the fridge.
    Thanks
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    They will continue to rise in the fridge. They will rise more slowly, but they will rise.
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to keep the dough in the freezer too much beyond a month, the yeast will lose some of it's oomph.