Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone with MinWax Poly Shade experience?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We are starting week number 3 of a professional home remodeling project. To save some money I'm doing the painting and also the staining of new molding. I'm finished with the molding so the finish carpenters can hang it. I stained all those boards the traditional way and then added two coats of MinWax polyurethane. Now I also have 3 sets of sliding doors and 3 sets of windows that need to be stained and sealed. All 6 items are pre-finished on the outside, but the inside and tracks all are still bare wood. I'm thinking of the time saving benefit of MinWax brand Poly Shade since the 3 windows are on 2nd floor so I'll need to be a ladder monkey to get to the outer edges. Does that MinWax work as claimed and does it in fact get darker each application? BTW the stain color will be walnut and I want it dark walnut besides.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Yes Ron,that stuff works great,although I haven't tryed it in an exterior application.It does get darker/richer with each application.It's so much easier to use,and it will save you a bunch of steps up the ladder :) Good luck with your project ;)I would go for it :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Thanks- sorry I wasn't more clear on the use - the exterior of the doors and windows are clad with plastic and metal, but the interior wood which is accessible in some spots ONLY from outside when the windows are wide open are what I was referring to...but thanks again for your feedback - sounds like this is the way I'll go - being a ladder monkey doesn't bother me that much...until I get 24' off the ground! :sick:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.