Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chips Spatchcock Chicken

claycamp
claycamp Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging for about 3 weeks and have found the majority of the information I need on this site. I'm going to try two things for the first time tonight

1. Spatchcock chicken (naked wiz's instructions)

2 using wood chips. I have some mesquite chips. my question is when do I add the chips and should I put them in water first?

I've used the search function to try to find the answer, but I getting bogged down in all the technical answers.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I wouldn't use mesquite with chicken -- it is a strong smoke and the poultry will be overpowered by it. If you choose to use it, do so sparingly. Milder woods like fruit woods and pecan tend to pair better with chicken according to my taste buds.

No reason to smoke the chips before you use them.
  • claycamp
    thanks- I'm going to stay away from the chips tonight
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    I agree - for the first cook especially. I'd try to cook the chicken as close to how you'd normally cook it as possible. That way you'll get a chance to see how much better chicken is when it's cooked in a BGE without wondering if it was the smoke that made it better...etc.

After a few successful chicken cooks - then I'd start experimenting. Apple, pecan, pear....all nice woods for spatched chicken in my experience. Even as mild as these woods can be - a little still goes a long way.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    No need to soak any woods for the egg. Try fruit woods like pecan, cherry or orange for chicken.
  • claycamp
    chicken w/o any wood chips was awesome. wow and wow