Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Angst!

Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an 11 lb brisket that's going into its 15th hour. The temp has been well controlled around 225 throughout the cook.

On the thinner parts of the flat I'm getting 190 temps. In the thicker parts of the flat and in certain places on the point it's in the low/mid 180's. These parts also don't "feel" done when I stab it with the probe.

I'm considering cutting off the thinner part of the flat moving it off to a warmed cooler, and foil wrapping the remaining thick part and keeping it on the Egg until I hit 190+.

As always, the advice is much appreciated

This is my first brisket. It's gone well so far and I don't want to screw up the final step.

Comments

• Check your temperature inside at grid level. I don't think it's that much out of range. If you are worried double wrap in aluminum foil (the flat side the 190).

Have 2 beers, yell at Arizona Cards for leaving have 2 more beers s/b done.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    You are in the done temperature done range. 195° +/- check the flat for tenderness. If it is fork tender then separate the point from the flat and pull the flat and finish cooking the point or make burnt ends out of the point.

If the flat isn't fork tender and you think the bark is getting overdone you can foil tent the brisket or just the flat and continue cooking until tender.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    All I can offer, being a brisket novice, is that the best flat I've made to date I pulled at 195, and foiled for an hour.
  • With Brisket I have had better luck relying on feel than temp. If your probe slides into the meat like it would a stick of butter you are done, if not I'd let it go a bit longer.
    Don't be afraid to remove the flat if it is done. Somebody suggested foiling the flat right on the grill but in my experience that would cause it to cook even faster, I would only do that if it was getting burned but not done on the inside. Stick with it and you will be just fine.
    Lets see a pic!
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    My problem is that just part of the flat is done and part is still in the 183 range. It looks like the point is done too.

It's the thick part of the flat needs more grill time. I'm just debating on whether carving the flat (separating thin and done from thicker and not quite done) is the best thing to do.

Thanks
  • If part seems done and part is not don't sweat it just wait until it is all done. The part that seems done now will be fine.