Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heard a new one today

Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
....my son told me the guy at the ballpark, that sells "bbq", soaks his fruit wood chips in Italian dressing. Anybody ever heard of doing this. :huh:
Bob
Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Haven't heard that one. Have heard root beer or juice.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    burning olive oil is about the least flavorful sooty crap you can want. hahaha

doing (i think) marinated octopus today, and the difficulty i have is the flaring from the olive oil in the marinade.

black specks, sooty, adds no flavor.

may leave it out and brush on the chopped octopus later.

the other ingredients in the dressing might add nice flavor. like onion and garlic, for example. maybe his smoker needs chips to be smoked. the egg doesn't. so i'd consider maybe using the fruit wood unsoaked, and adding a few (unpeeled) cloves of garlic, and unpeeld chunks of onion. don't know what else is in the dressing but vinegar, olive oil, and red/green peppers.

no benefit from the oil in the smoke. vinegar? who knows.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Thanks for the comments guys...!
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    No, but I soaked my charcoal in ranch dressing once.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

On food network last night a Q Restaurant was cooking pork over briquettes. He soaked the flavor wood in vinegar - It might have been apple cider vinegar the program was on in the background.

He also lightly seasoned the meat after the pull which though was interesting.

GG