Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Question

Options
bklausman
bklausman Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I apologize for asking this if it has already been asked, but I don't see a good way to search older posts. Anyways, I have smoked a few items on my LBGE using wood chips and it seems I only get good smoke for less than an hour. Is this normal? If not any ideas?

Comments

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    When I use wood chips and want a lot of smoke (like for chili or baked beans) I continue to add wood chips every 30 min to 1 hr. If you spread the chips all throughout the coals you can get longer smoking. I have read here several times that there is a limit as to how long meat will keep "taking" the smoke flavor, so that may mean that you do not really need smoke for longer than 1 hour for meat. Also, you may get smoke for longer by using wood chunks instead of wood chips.

Hope this helps.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Thick, dense wood chunks is a very good way to get extended smoking...But there is indeed a limit as to how long the meat will 'accept' the smoke and I've always been told that period is about an hour...So I go for the heavy smoke early in the cook and the results...in my opinion have been favorable....

eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke will flavor meat at any time through the cook and for as long as there is smoke.

the notion that smoke only "absorbs into"(which is also mostly not correct) or flavors the meat for a certain period of time is a much-repeated myth. but it's just that, a myth.

it's only the smoke RING which is affected by time and meat temp. and the smoke ring doesn't really have anything to do with the flavor of the meat
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    gah...

that myth will never die.

smoke will flavor meat whenever and however it is added. it keeps no schedule, and does not stop doing anything to the meat after "an hour" other than maybe the smoke RING will stop forming.

smoke flavors whatever it touches, at whatever temp, whenever it's there.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Amen! Like Stike says, "smoke flavors whatever it touches". Ever smell your shirt after an Egg cook? :blink:
  • stike
    Options
    i'll tellya. the old timers must always be thinking "jeez. stike again about the frigging smoke and smoke ring. he says the same thing over and over..."

and then a month later someone will post "my buddy says the smoke only absorbs (GAH!) into the meat after an hour, so i don't bother with more smoke than that"

and of course i wig out and re-type my treatise "On Smokeing and Varyeous Meates, and the Yeffects of Sayme on Given Foodstuffes and Victuales. or, 'How I came to Dyscover ye Smoke Rynge was just a Pretty Thynge'; as told to Sir John Donne or Anyone who Myghte Listen." published in the year of our lord, CE 2003 AD, Hebrew Calendar 5763, Mohameddan era 1423, Julian Calendar on or about 2452640; golden number 2, epact 13, solar cycle 9, dominical letters C B, Roman indication 2; MMIII

printed at The Presse of Jaymes Worthington, printer, St. Martin-in-the-Field's, Westminster

author's copy, first printing, first imprint, with the required adverts and rare tissue guards at the photogravures. with marginal (author's) notations, in original calf, small (later) bookplate tipped in on the front free endpaper. slight foxing to the title page, previous owner's ink-stamped name transferring to the inner front pastedown. hinges cracking but strong, bumped corners, otherwise fine. a fine first edition with notations in the author's hand. scarce in the original publisher's binding. a seminal work in the development of the understanding of the effect of wood smoke on the flavoring, preservation, and coloring of meats. £1250, delivery by insured parcel post unless otherwise arranged