Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time with guests...

Options
Mike B
Mike B Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK so I posted a few days ago asking what would cook together with ribs, and got many great replies. In the end my wife wanted some beef. So I did -thirdeye's- beef chuck roast. I could only get 2 x 3lbs, so they cooked faster than the ribs. At a tick over 200deg they were done in 4 hours. The ribs continued on for a total of 6 hours. I used the Dizzy Pig's Cowlick Steak rub for the beef, and their Dizzy Dust for the ribs. I also cooked up Keri's Hog-Apple Baked beans. Everything turned out great. This was my first time venturing into a longer cook (eventually I'll try an overnighter when I get the temperature control mastered). It was a all a great success, thanks for all your help, and to those who post recipes on this forum.

608563516_vxW73-M.jpg

608563541_xgRGd-M.jpg

608563567_hNJzh-M.jpg

608563613_iWb2L-M.jpg

In all the excitement I forgot to take a pictures of the finished chuck.... :(

Mike

Comments

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    Sounds like a great cook! Thanks for the pictures. How do rate the baked beans? I have been wanting to make them but my wife doesn't like the idea of the apple in them. I would love know how you liked them.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Mike,

If any of your guests complained I hope you sent them home and invite me next time :woohoo: :laugh:

Food looks great, got to have some of those beans!

I really like the overnight cooks, no gadgets just focusing on building a good breathing fire.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did the beans last weekend with a can of cherry pie filling. Little sweet but eggcelent.[img][/img]BEANSCHERRY.jpg
  • deltadawn
    Options
    Those baked beans are awesome. Just made them for the second time yesterday with peach pie filling this time. Everyone raves about them. Very easy to make, too. You won't be disappointed.....
  • Mike B
    Options
    The beans were great. My wife is not a fan of baked beans, but she admitted they were ok (which is positive comment from her on baked beans). The guests really liked them. My 18 year son was a big fan. I used chorizo sausage instead of the smoked leftover pork, which I didn't have. The 1-tsp of chipotle really does give it a lot of spice, so depending on your preferences you might like to adjust that as you go along (next time I'll probably start with a 1/2-tsp). The apple pie filling is only noticeable because you know it's there, it's not something that anyone who was unaware of it would be able to identify. This recipe def going into the ring binder.
    Mike
  • Grumps
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion, I will have to try them soon. I have a killer baked bean recipe but I like to experiment.
  • Grumps
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I would not have thought about using cherry pie filling...I'll have to think on that one!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Good looking meal Mike,interesting recipe on the beans.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    There is only one thing to say...Great Job!
  • Mike B
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I am enjoying my egg immensely, and the family has not gotten past the looks and are eating like there was no tomorrow.

I have to give this forum a lot of credit for my enjoyment. I am only a member of 3 forums, this one, Nikonians.org, and another photo forum, each one of them with like minded positive and enthusiastic people, which makes the learning and the experience so much better.
    Mike