Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Heat?

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in Off Topic

I am looking for a miracle! I love HOT foods but my taste buds are way too sensitive to eat it. Is there any way to acclimate/desensitize my taste buds so I can enjoy a good hot pepper or tasty hot sauce?

I started yesterday trying to expose my taste buds to heat on a much more frequent and regular bases. I have a large jar of John Henry's Sugar Maple Rub that by my standards is very hot. Just a little on my finger tip taste great but has the old taste buds begging for mercy. I will taste it a few times during the day but only time will tell if this is going to help.

Any good ideas?
Gator atomic.gif

Comments

• Hey Gator, I think it may what you can get used to. I remember long ago I thought a jalapeno was hot now I can eat them whole and not have to have a chaser. :laugh: The wife's family is Mexican and they have been living in South East Louisiana for the past 50 years so we eat a lot of spicy foods. I have to turn down the heat some times for company but when I boil crawfish you better have your game face on. :ohmy: :laugh:
  • I ate a meal in Santa Fe and the pepper(s) had a real kick, but was not overwhelming. I attempted to find out what kind they were, but I could not find an employee that habla'ed Ingles well enough to find out.
    I understand you are looking for a way to get used to the peppers you are familiar with. But maybe these peppers would be to your liking. Maybe someone with knowledge of peppers from the Southwest can help us figure out what peppers I am talking about.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Hottest meal I ever ate was "THAI HOT" in Bangkok in '68. There was not enough beer to help. Cried for 3 days. Have found that for some people, salt will help simmer the spice down and others drink milk. Just a few thoughts.

Here is a great site for different types of chiles.

http://www.chetbacon.com/peppers/Hotpeppers.html
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

"Is there any way to acclimate/desensitize my taste buds so I can enjoy a good hot pepper or tasty hot sauce? "

Get older, they say when you get older your taste buds get less sensitive.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Avocado will take the heat completely out of a jalapeno.

Take a jalapeno an cover it top & bottom with guacamole the jalapeno will have a very sweet taste and absolutely no heat at all. It is an amazing experience and hard to get your mind to accept the flavor/experience.

I absolutely love cheese nacho's covered with jalapeno's and a huge side of guacamole. WOW!!! fantastic.

GG
  • I would have to agree with those nachos. The kids used to call the guacamole "Holy Moley". :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub

:laugh: :laugh:

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you have the right idea. just more and more of it. it literally kills them off.

i can eat habanero ABTs no problem, as long as i have had six or eight jalapeno ones first. if i eat a habanero straight off, i'm crying like the gurly man i am.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Gator Bait

Hahahaha, So the simple solution is for me to marry a nice Mexican girl??? Well . . . I would like to learn the language . . . :laugh:

I have never tried chomping down on a fresh jalapeño. Next time I go to the market I'll have to look into that. I have had the pickled slices on sandwiches before, sometimes enjoying them, sometimes wondering what on earth I was thinking of! LOL.

I know of a little Cuban restaurant over in Cape Coral that makes the best Cuban sandwich I have found in this area so far. I have a passion for great Cuban sandwiches and every now and then I will kick the diet to the curb and go over and indulge. On the tables they have bottles of Texas Pete Hot Sauce which can't be very hot cause I can pour it on like there is no tomorrow and like it.

As for my game face . . . yikes.gif

Gator

• :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Believe it or not she never learned much spanish and I speak more than she does. I learned a good bit in Puerto Rico. At least she learned to cook it. :laugh: The best home made tortias I have ever had. :)
  • Gator Bait

LOL, Maybe thats why I'm still single Eddie, I haven't met a good enough cook yet. :laugh:

Gator

• Gator Bait

Hi Semolina,

I'm not sure what I want to eat, I know there are a lot of good foods out there that I may never be able to eat if I can't get past the heat. I do know Bell peppers don't agree with me but the hot (warm) peppers I have been able to eat (if not to hot) have been no problem on that score (so far). So much Cayenne pepper is used in rubs and sauces I have to be careful, they can be just painful.

Gator

• Gator Bait

Hi Richard,

I grew up with an old, old friend that is a native Thai. We only let her cook dinner once that I can remember and then she had to promise to keep it cool for us. Asian heat is a whole 'nother ball game. Chinese hot mustard is ridiculous. I mean insane like the Thai chiles. Wasabi, I guess most of which is horseradish, can be fun, painful but fun. I can get carried away with horseradish/wasabi.
    Thanks for the web site. I have bookmarked it and will read it later.

Gator

• Gator Bait

Hahahaha, I don't want to rush anything Kent. I guess I have something to look forward to. At the rate I'm going I better live a long time, I've got a long ways to go. :laugh:

Gator

• Gator Bait

Hi stike,

WOW, habanero ABTs? . . . no problem!
    Now there is a goal to shoot for!

LOL, I don't know if I want to kill them off! Maybe teach them a good lesson or two. I'm going to see what happens with my daily dose of heat, it could be interesting.

Gator

• Gator Bait

Hi Kent,

Very interesting! I'm not an Avocado fan but might be converted.

Gator

• stike
    well. they grow back. you just keep knocking the taste buds down....
  • Gator Bait

I knew I couldn't be so lucky as to be able to kill the little buggers off. That would be too easy.

Gator

• Gator Bait

I knew I couldn't be so lucky as to be able to kill the little buggers off. That would be too easy.

Gator

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    I hear smoking cigarettes can kill your sense of taste. Perhaps that's the only benefit to cigarettes??
  • stike
    not if you enjoy food.
  • Gator Bait
    Eggscriber wrote:
    I hear smoking cigarettes can kill your sense of taste. Perhaps that's the only benefit to cigarettes??

Thanks Steve, Hahahaha, I just quit smoking April 8, 2009! I'd love a good reason to start up again. Wish this was a good one!

Gator
  • Wow! :woohoo: your are coming up on 4 months now. How do you feel? More energy, senses of taste a little better sense of smell? I bet you can still smell a cigarette a mile up wind. :blink: I know you got more money in your pocket at least enough to buy a small Egg. :laugh: Good for you! I am getting closer to a quit date.:)
  • Gator Bait

Hey Eddie,

Sorry I haven't looked at this post in couple days, guilty as charged. :blush:

Yup, 4 months coming up. I would love to be able to say there has been a world of benefits, that food taste better, breathing was easier, more energy, better sense of smell but it just ain't so. I do have one mother of a huge monkey off my back!!! I am also not being mindlessly taxed to death and paying it like a . . . ??? (Sorry, no polite way to end that thought). That in it self is worth it. Now instead of buying smokes I buy steaks, LOL. I have developed a taste for rib eyes and strip steaks. I'm not sure which is more expensive the steaks or the smokes. :blink:
    Yup your right, I can smell a cigarette a mile up wind and they smell fantastic! Fortunately I have enough effort invested to stay off them. Every time I get the craving all I have to do is look at the price I would be hooked back into and all the effort that would be going down the drain. I think the effort I have invested may make cold turkey worth it. It makes it that much harder for me to go back. Now if I could loose some weight . . . bonk.gif

Gator