Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Florida Fest - WOW!

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well folks, we sure had a blast! I can't thank everyone enough for making it such a wonderful weekend. I'll try and get the pics FTP'd to the server soon. I didn't get very many, but I'm hoping that some of the others who were there will burn me a CD so I can have a nice photo album of the event. [p]Friday night the "Meet and Greet" was at our cabin. Then we moved the party to Banker John's cabin, where we rounded up his medium, our small, and JeffJ's new demo small and cooked up a bunch of TRex steaks (just wait 'til Rumrunner posts his pic of THAT!), For sides we had shrimp kabobs, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, caesar salad and garlic bread . Then, the "after-party" party geared up and we nursed a bottle of banana rum and some "number" rum...'nuff said there![p]Saturday was our big day...and, we had SO much food! JeffJ threw 4 butts on before hitting the sack on Friday so the air was filled with the wonderful aroma of pork and smoke as you walked up to the pavilion. We had Jerked Wings, Pulled Pork, Ribs, Veggies and something else (sorry, I'm braindead) courtesy of Bobinfla. Chile Spiced Chicken Breast in a Mango/Mint Sauce courtesy of Ken Stone. A wonderful Corn and Black Bean Salsa courtesy of Poqal. Lamb Sate with Spicey Peanut Sauce courtesy of Steve & Fran Ingram (new egg owners-to-be). Spicy Italian Sausage, ABT's and Carne Asada courtesy of Wardster. A pork shoulder from Mark Howard (to break in his new demo medium egg and his first cook). Mr. Hyde did some yummy Pizza. And I did Oriental Pork Tenderloins, Okinawan Wings, Cherry Smoked Sausage with Assorted Mustards, and Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip with Spinich and Roasted Garlic.[p]Sunday, we started all over again! Bobinfla's nephew won the Dizzypig collection of rubs so Bob, in turn, "borrowed" the doorprize and did a Cowlick Brisket and a Dizzy Dusted Pork Roast, but the prize for most interesting cook went to him for the Pumpkin Pie in the Pumpkin. Banker John did some excellent Chili, Rum did some delicious NY Strip Steaks, JeffJ did pork tenderloins two different ways, one with Char Crust Southwestern something (sorry Jeff, can't remember exactly the name of the spice) and a second one with Dijon Mustard and Molasses Glaze and some killer scallops wrapped in bacon. I did Coffee Crusted Pork Tenderloins with Red Eye BBQ Sauce, Ragin' River Shrimp Kabobs with Orange Honey Glaze, more Okinawan Wings, and Maple Mustard Glazed Salmon.[p]We sure didn't go away hungry! If I missed anybody or anything that got cooked, please forgive my brain-deadness! At the moment, I'm so tired I can barely think...[p]Again thanks...the success we enjoyed is a direct result of all of your efforts, from those who were donors/sponsors along with those who cooked or attended alike. [p]We WILL be doing this again![p]Tonia
:~)[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBabe,
    Great report. Sounds fantastic. I am definitely sorry to have missed out. No doubt it sounds like everyone had a blast, and my hat's off to you for pulling off such a big success the first time you have done this. Looks like the hard work payed off, and everyone had plenty to eat.[p]Look forward to the end of the week, when you get to do it all over again....this time with 400 people that want food! heee.[p]See you there!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You sure were missed! But I'm looking forward to sharing some time with you in Hotlanta! All I've got to do is figure out what I'm cooking and we'll be set...I may not even need to unpack the car...heee![p]Thanks for contributing to our success!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    QBabe,[p]That sounds like a great weekend. Food, fun and good people. You must be a gluttin for punichment, or gaining alot of weight (doing all of that two weekends in a row)![p]Lookin' forward to seeing you![p]Smokey
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    QBabe,[p]You and Mr. Hyde are some of my favorite cookin folks.
    You two have always got it going on.......... the Dynamic Duo of BBQ.[p]Glad all of your hard work paid off...... sounds like you've started a yearly tradition with a bunch of great folks. :~)[p]John

• QBabe
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Yeah, I'll probably be hating myself next week when my clothes no longer fit, but for now, I'm really enjoying all the good karma...![p]Looking forward to seeing you,
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Hey, the Dynamic Duo of BBQ, I like that!! Next time we need to get you and Nature Boy down here for some of the fun...![p]Tonia

• smokeypete
    Options
    QBabe, darn... if there's one thing i hate it's missing a great cookout! my florida trip happens every january and february.. any thought of another southern style eggparty then??? hate to miss another, i'd drive 2000 miles for a shot at all those goodies... my small may even have a few to offer. well.. maybe next time.. sounds like you had a real hummer of a party.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    QBabe,[p]"Wow" is a great way to put it. Sounds like y'all had a blast, and PLENTY of good eats! Wish I could have been a part.[p]Will see you this Saturday though in Atlanta.[p]TRex
  • QBabe
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]Actually, there's already been some discussion of the third weekend in February...we would LOVE to have you come! That gives a chance for some of the frozen northern eggers to migrate south during a time of year when fun in the sun would be a welcome change in climate...[p]It really was a wonderful time!
    Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    TRex,[p]This is DEFINATELY starting off to be an "egg"cellent vacation! We're looking forward to finally meeting you...! We've got an outstanding pic of some TRex'd steaks on Friday night when Rum gets a chance to get his posted...you'll be proud...![p]We're staying at the Homestead...look us up...
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    QBabe,
    WOW,
    What a great time ya all had. I'm glad the event went so well thanks to all the hard work and planning that went into it. Even though it's a long way from here I was going to try and make it combined with a visit with my friends in Kissimmie.[p]I have company that had planned their vacation here and they landed on the first day of your event. Maybe next time. I thank you for the welcoming that you offered if I was able to make it.[p]Congratulations,[p]New Bob[p]

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I'll be getting to the Fest some time around noon on Saturday with my dad, cousin, and two buddies. My wife and I are flying into Augusta, GA Friday and then driving up to Atlanta Sat. morning with my folks, going to Fest, visiting family, then driving back to Augusta.[p]All of that to say, our schedule will be full so unfortunately I will be unable to cook (all my friends and family are back in Atlanta/Augusta so trips home are always full of activities). But I do look forward to meeting so many good people and trying out their creations.[p]We'll talk steaks over a couple cold ones.[p]TRex
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    wow is right. .. sounds like you and mr. hyde threw one heck of a great party!!. . .sorry i missed it (and next week as well). ..[p]but this is what makes "eggers" special is the unbelievably imaginitive dishes everyone comes up with. .. this isn't 'grilling'. . .its gourmet cooking at its best. .. . !!!!

• QBabe
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Too bad it didn't work out for you, but we'll be doing it again...look forward to meeting you next time around![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You are so right! Maybe next time we can get you down here...[p]Tonia

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    QBabe,
    Didn't someone mention February 2005 so as to not conflict with the Eggtoberfest, and get some northern-types down to Florida during the winter?[p]Hopefully, by that time we can have celebrities, ie Ceramic winners of the "Jack" (Keep your fingers crossed and prayers for KimW and DavidM) who would have been here except that the Q-Fest was between the "Royal" and the "Jack Daniels"[p]Bobinfla

• BobinFla
    Options
    Smokey,
    Naw, Q-Babe won't gain any weight...after dark and early morning she and Mr.Hyde could be seen walking all through the park to work off the food.[p]Bobinfla

• QBabe
    Options
    Bobinfla,[p]Actually, we're thinking THIS February, 2004...and we'd love to have Kim and David join us![p]Thanks for all your hard work and all that wonderful food you did.[p]Tonia

• BobinFla
    Options
    QBabe,
    Wasn't Nature Boy responsible for my being able to "borrow" the Cow Lick rub for the Sunday Breakfast Brisket since my nephew won a basket of Dizzy Pig rubs in a door prize drawing, or am I completely confused?[p]Breakfast was fantastic with the Cow Lick.[p]BobinFla

• QBabe
    Options
    BobinFla,[p]Yep, Nature Boy is the one you want, if you're after some Cowlick Rub...[p]Here's where you can order some, if you can't pry the doorprize from your nephew...![p]Tonia

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig Rubs[/ul]
  • BobinFla
    Options
    QBabe,
    Not a chance of prying from those fingers.[p]DUH!!
    I've been to that website before, and wondered if it was any good, or just the standard commercially available rub. Well now I know! The site is bookmarked.
    Thanks, Nature Boy![p]BobinFla

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Bob,
    Glad you enjoyed the Cowlick. I was partially responsible for getting the rubs into your nephews hands, as I provided the doorprize pack, but 'twas my partner Qfan who is responsible for putting that killer recipe together!! [p]And your nephew, of course, provided the luck!
    Hope the ol' nephew invites you over to try some of the others.
    Cheers, Bob. Sorry I missed out on breakfast!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe,
    We would love to come - this time it was just too tight with the Royal *and* the Jack. February looks good though! Maybe Dr BBQ will come too. [p]Too bad pesky little things like work and bills get in the way of our fun.[p]Kim & David

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Sounds like you had a great success! Now on to the mother of all eggfests. The Texas eggfest is shaping up quite nicely for something whipped up on a month's notice.[p]Cheers![p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • QBabe
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Yep, I was really pleased with how everything turned out. I'm looking forward to some of those Texas ABT's at Eggtoberfest and sharing a cold one![p]Good luck with the Texas event when you get back...[p]See you soon,
    Tonia

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Hope it's not too late to chime in. The Florida Fest was a solid ball! We enjoyed every minute of it; next time we'll plan more time for it. Your hard work, and that of your helpers, certainly paid off.[p]Ken
  • QBabe
    Options
    Howdy Ken,[p]You back in the great white West? We were so glad you were able to make it and hope to do it again soon! I'm still on a bit of a high from it...! 'Course it's a week-long vacation for us this week and now we're in full gear getting ready for Eggtoberfest (we're on the road in the morning). When we get back, I'll have to get all the fest pics organized and posted on my website...[p]Time to reheat last night's Seafood Gumbo for lunch...[p]Cheers,
    Tonia