Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new Green Egg

Options
Whipstock
Whipstock Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have waited a long time and now finally can say I now have a Green Egg, will be putting it together today and cooking on it soon after. Looking for suggestions on what to start with. Got any ideas?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    spatchcock or beer butt chicken...delicious

and welcome to the club......... :P
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    Would suggest you start with some easy things to begin with, like the chicken that has been suggested or maybe pork chops. The egg is truly great and you will love it however it is a bit different than cooking on other grills since you cook to temperature not necessarily time. Also do your first few cooks at lower temps.
    I think I started with some brats and burgers and chicken. Then did an all night cook with a pork butt. The egg held the 225 temp for 19hours, could not believe it. Once you get really familiar with the egg move on to more complex things like a T Rex steak or pizza. Maybe complex is not the right term. Maybe higher temp cooks would be better.
    good luck with your egg and you can always find info on this forum
    gp
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Be sure and watch that DVD. I agree a Spatchcock is a good starter cook. That is actually what I did for my first. Along with a beer canned one, 2 Ribeyes and a Apple crisp pie. That's when the good life started :)
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase, you won't regret it. If you currently cook on a different type of grill, I would start with whatever you most commonly cook on it and/ or enjoy the most. This will allow you to draw an instant comparison of how the Egg cooks vs. your old grill.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Oh, and get that camera ready for some food pics.

And Welcome to the 'Cult' B)
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    congrats on the new egg and welcome :) my first cook was cheeseburgers made from freshly ground ribeyes, best burger I've ever had......my wife couldn't not believe I ground up ribeyes to make burgers, but what's the difference in eating them as steaks or as burgers as long as they are enjoyed :P
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Good idea and point Mike. Still makes the hair on my neck stand up and gives me Goose Bumps thinking about that grinding of an
    RIBEYE. :ermm: :huh: :pinch: :blink: :ohmy:

Now I need a grinder :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new egg.

Take a good look at the inside of your egg, because by Monday it is going to look a lot different - or it better look a lot different.

Don't forget to watch the video, that is important.

Calibrate your thermometer, there should be instructions with your packaging materials. If no ask a question here on the forum.

For a few cooks don't take the egg much higher than 450°-500°.

First thing to cook, the options are unlimited. It is hard to mess most foods up on the egg if you will cook to food temperature as apposed to time.

Pick up some hamburger, brats, hot dogs, chicken parts, whole chicken because you are going to want to cook them all. From there go wherever your taste buds take you.

GG
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I'll submit another vote for chicken.

56d3a888.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beer butt chicken is good, if you're a good carver.
    DSC00246.jpg

Breasts stuffed with cheese and veggies, then bacon-wrapped are good, too:
    P1010012.jpg

An easy but spectacular cook is kebabs:
    DSC01112.jpg
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    the first time I cubed them and stuffed in the grinder I was like....what the heck am I doing, but I swear it was the best burger ever, I don't do oftne but once in awhile I will, either way it's gonna get chewed and eaten
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm almost embarrased to say that I've been Egging for a year and a half and I didn't do my first spatchcock chicken until a week or two ago. I think it is the best choice for a first cook. It's simple and I think as it really gives you a great demonstration of the difference that the Egg makes.

This link gives you the whole process step by step.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Good luck and welcome.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You will have a great time with the Egg, and will probably enjoy cooking more than you ever have.

Whatever you cook, note that without any accessories, such as a grill extender, or platesetter (or home-made equivalents), you will be doing very direct cooking. In most cases, direct cooks at the lower level are best for items that are pretty quick. Burgers, brats, chicken pieces, chops, etc. The spatch'd chicken works well because being butterflied it cooks thru quickly enough that the unshielded meat gets crisp but not burnt.

Have fun :woohoo:
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome...use the search function to pull up the posts by Grampas Grub. He has put together several posts with useful info for all users, new and old....

chix is a good first cook.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and Eggdom. Start with something easy like chicken thighs and work your way up to steaks. You may want to look at the cookbook above for more ideas. Try something you have never done before.
    Good luck!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    just do burgars, I'm sure you have had them on many grills and other cooking devices. This will verify the good investment you made. :)
  • 520dvx
    520dvx Posts: 78
    Options
    Welcome .... lots of GREAT people and info here
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    You can also do this,welcome and ask anyhing you want.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD RIENDS

DALE
    IMG_0516.jpg
  • Whipstock
    Whipstock Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks everyone, did rib eyes, didn't turn out as good as I hoped, but loved cooking on my new BGE. Thinking about pork today, just need to get past the learning curve. Great forum, spending more time than I should on it, when I should be working, oh well doubt I', me the only doing that. :)