Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin temp

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make some pork BBQ with a boneless pork loin. What internal temp should I pull the loin?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Pork loins I always pull at 140 and let rest for a bit. Temps will rise approx 5-7 degrees during the rest. Much higher and it will be dry.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Yup, I agree, pull at 140º and cover with foil and let rest. I have over cooked to much pork in the past so I no longer go over 140º if I can help it.

Gator

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you are looking to make pulled pork, you'll want to run out and get a cheaper cut like a butt or picnic shoulder.

the loin is more of a roast. like the guys said, 140 and let it rest a bit before carving.

for pulled pork, the cheaper cuts will go to 200 . they are "pullable" around 185, but easiest to pull at 195-205
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I agree with the 140 except I personally would pull it at 135 and allow to rest. It will hit 140 while resting and be very tender and tasty.
  • bigdtd
    bigdtd Posts: 32
    Options
    internal temp 135-140 ok pull, but what is the green egg temp being used? Thanks
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I go with 350 dome temp, indirect.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I cooked 100 pounds at church at 350 dome temp, direct heat for around 1.5 hours.
  • stike
    Options
    is it me or am i the only guy that noticed he said he wanted to BBQ it? hahaha

his question is muddled, frankly. he's either BBQ'ing lo-and-slo in the desire for pulled pork at 205, or he's roasting, and wants a nice moist loin at 140 or so

sounds to me like he's trying to make pulled pork from a loin roast. that's (usually) mutually exclusive
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    I noticed that too. No collagen. Bad idea. I'd roast at a low temp, 275 with lots of smoke. You could do a wet cook of a pork loin and end up with something like pulled pork. I've done it in milk.
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. i've seen folks that cook them (loin and tenderloin even) in crockpots too. they'll break down. you just need something for wetness and flavor (which the collagen and fat provide in the butts). in a crock pot they just sauce it to death for the flavor, but the meat still shreds

you see my post the other day in reply to yours? you can't seem to get one old timer to respond you your posts. or newbies.

if i were you, i would look up "essexco" on the urban dictionary. maybe it means something to other people that we don't know. like having a handle that was "cleveland steamer"

i bet if you started a post that said "free Large BGE plus a case of beer to the first person to respond" it would be me or fishless asking when we can come get it. then nothing but crickets after that. eye doan geddit paul
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    What size/number of eggs would you use to cook 100 lbs for an event?

Thanks.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I cooked about 100 lbs of Boston Butts on a XL and a Large not too long ago. I would think pork loins would be about the same.