Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who Would Have Thought...

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Sorry no pictures as I really wasn't expecting much and heck there wasn't much to show anyway.

Was late and we wanted a quick something to eat.

Got the mini warmed up 300° dome.

Made some Cheese and Tomato sanwhiches and put them on the mini.

WOW, pretty dog gone good. Grilled Cheese and Tomato sandwiches. A bit of cheese oozed out but it was a great meal.

Got me to thinking, so I went in and mixed some tuna and mayonnaise and put that on some bread, and back out on the mini. I also made one tuna with cheese and again, great eats.

Really, really good both the grilled tuna and grilled cheese sandwiches. Comfort food at it's best.

GG

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I would guess that the tomatoes were your homegrown? Everything taste better from the garden.Sonds like a delicious sandwich-simple is best.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • It doesn't get any better simple and satisfying. :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Kent,

With all your eggsperience I would have thought you had tried most everything by now. :cheer:

You sandwiches are making me hungry! When my parents were alive I did a lot of their cooking for them in their later years. On any particularly chilly day here in Florida I would get down to their place early enough to make us Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Cream of Tomato Soup. I never skimped on the cheese and used plenty of butter inside and out and a little garlic salt on the out side (like mild garlic bread but with your grilled cheese between it). Heinz used to make a horseradish sauce that came in a small bottle with a red label (I haven't been able to find it for some time) that was the best thing in Grilled Cheese or Tuna Sandwiches and I would slather that in generously. In tuna I would replace some of the mayo with it. The Cream of Tomato Soup would get a good shot of basil, a little splash of Sherry and a bit of garlic powder to dress it up. You would have thought I had cooked them a ten course dinner fit for a King and Queen. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Cream of Tomato Soup will always be one of my favoritest meals.

Breads (carbs) are bad for my blood sugars so I haven't given sandwiches so much as a thought for a long time, sure do miss 'em. I bet I could make a killer Cuban Sandwich on the egg with my new pizza stone. Hmmmm, heat up the pizza stone and the cast iron skillet (wrap a couple fire bricks in foil and place them inside the skillet to give it more weight) and you have a charcoal fired panini/sandwich press. If I don't eat for the next month I might be able to get the blood sugars low enough to try it. LOL.

Gator

• Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    And here I thought Grilled cheese and tomato soup was exclusive.
    They really go good together.
    I know it's tuff but watch that sugar.
    Interesting about the sammich press.
    GG
    Might have to try grilled chese and ham?
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    For me, open faced tuna salad with melted cheese is always a winner. The tuna salad still a little cool contrasts with the hot melted cheese is all good.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    One year on vacation in Naples Florida, I was noticing different types of "melt" sandwiches on many of the menus. One of which was a tuna melt for $12, so I had to ask the obvious.....$12 for a tuna sandwich?

Well, they explained it was fresh tuna, seasoned and lightly grilled then added to fresh crusty bread, two kinds of cheese, home made mayo type spread, and then grilled again to make it "melty" It may have been the best $12 I've ever spent.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Gator Bait

Hi Ron,

Growing up in New England my mother would make us that for lunch on a cold winters day when the snow was up to here and we would be in heaven. She didn't add all the embellishments I did but what did we know? LOL, turn about is fair play and the folks would purr like kittens when I would make it for them. They are gone but the memories are wonderful and as simple as a Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup. :laugh:

The blood sugars are a bear but it's either control them or go on insulin and I don't want to go there. My control was perfect until I quit smoking on April 8th of this year, now I have to quit snacking. My sugars are higher and my weight is up, life was so simple when I was smoking. The diabetes gave me the discipline to finally quit smoking now it's going to have to give me the discipline to get the diet back under control. LOL, this is what I get for being so undisciplined all my life.

The sandwich press should be nothing less then perfect. I may not be able to test it for a couple months but that is good incentive to get the diabetes under strict control.

Have you ever tried slicing some hot dogs in half length wise and grilling them, then put them in a Grilled Cheese sandwich like the ham? Hahahaha, the cheese fills all the crevices around the dogs and it's all hot and melted goodness. :woohoo:

Gator

• Gator Bait

LOL, Yup sounds like Naples, darn, this thread is making me hungry!

Gator

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    one of my favorite ways to eat a hot dog is grill the split top and dog in butter, wrap the dog in cheese and put it directly into the hot buttered bun where it melts. ;) i think you get less bread with the split top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub

Gator,

There is so much stuff I have not cooked on the egg. My 'todo' list is very, very long long.

It sounds like you have 'kicked up' the sandwiches quite a bit. I didn't even think of taking the cook that far and I wasn't even going to post about it but it was so good done on the egg.

Might need to suggest a forum convenience food challenge one of these weekends.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Great idea, but, Grilled Cheese, Tomato and Buckboard Bacon, now that would be a great sandwich.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I think the only non-seafood meals I ate the whole trip was Eggs Benedict one Sunday at brunch, a BLT and two bites of Mrs ~t's~ prime rib one night. :laugh:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Gator Bait wrote:

Hi Ron,

Have you ever tried slicing some hot dogs in half length wise and grilling them, then put them in a Grilled Cheese sandwich like the ham? Hahahaha, the cheese fills all the crevices around the dogs and it's all hot and melted goodness. :woohoo:

Gator

My Grandmother used to split hot dog in half(lengthwise....not all the way through) and fill with mashed potato and top with cheese.....bake in the oven until cheese is bubbly and dog is hot.....Might have to try one on the Egg tonight.....been years since I've had one...or two or three!
  • Gator Bait

Hi Kent,

Any "kicked up" sandwiches are out of my checkered past, *sigh*, the good old days! My Dad was a connoisseur of the sandwich art. He was an engineer and really turned it loose when it came to making a sandwich. I can see him like it was yesterday, standing at the kitchen counter with his ingredients laid out before him, humming some long forgotten tune while he constructed his masterpiece. He would be in his sandwich mode which was as happy as any. And when it was all said and done and lunch was over, all that would remain would be a tell tail stain on the front of his shirt and a happy contented smile on his face. :laugh:

A food challenge of that nature might be very interesting. It's going to be interesting to see how Faith and Steven set up the next one.

I understand about your "todo" list, there are so many things I can't (shouldn't)eat that I would love to cook on the egg my list keeps growing also.

Gator